MBP HD replacement woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmoroy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. cmoroy macrumors newbie

So my first attempt at computer upgrades went haywire with a quickness. After I got the keyboard off I was trying to disconnect the trackpad ribbon and ended up breaking it. I learned later that step could be omitted and still accomplish the task. well I dug up the part number (821-0464-A, $50 + shipping) and ordered a new one from ilovemacs.com It has to be shipped to guam, so I am likely out of my computer for 10 days minumum.

For anybody trying the HD replacement in the future. The keyboard does not need to be disconnected.

2. Picho macrumors member

Man, that sucks.

Next time, try to read the manual beforehand (it's all in there) or just visit ifixit.com for a step by step walk-thru with detailed instructions and pics for just about every mac model.

3. cmoroy thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the guide from ifixit and was on step 11, trying to remove the cable. thats when it broke. It's my fault for attempting this without the help of someone who's done it before but that step is completely unnecassary. I would have been able to do the replacement without removing the ribbon