[MBP] HD space almost 0 - weird things going on!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by latyshev, May 27, 2011.

1. latyshev macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks for looking. Recently got a new Macbook Pro 15 incher. Im a new mac user. Replaced build-in HDD with a 512 gb SSD. Very happy with the machine, very fast, reliable. All in all very glad that i finally moved on from windows crap.

Then i noticed that my available HD space was just 80gb. I opened finder, looked up folder sizes and they added up to just 210gb. So where did another 210gb go?

Downloaded Disk Inventory X application and this are the two biggest folders it showed up:

\users - 173gb
    \volumes\system\users - 170gb

Can anyone please explain WTF is going on?

Attached Files:

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Take a look at the far left column in the image you posted. At the top it shows your Aperture library is 242.2 gigs. So, thats where the majority of your space.

Also, the program you are using shows you an image of where your disk usage is going. If you click on the largest blocks of that odd looking image on the right it will show you where on your hard drive the files are. Then you can decide whether to keep them or delete.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

Lost some memory latyshev has. How embarrassing. Gather round the computer screen, clear your minds and find latyshev's wayward memory we will :)

Was this an empty SSD, or one you bought from someone with all of their files left on it?

Try Daisy Disk. I had some luck using it to find a mysterious bunch of files squirreled away on my HDD.

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

It looks like he's using Disk Inventory X which is free and performs just as well as Daisy Disk which costs $20.

5. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Don't have a solution to your issue, but I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU for showing me Disk Inventory X! Used it on my computer and found gigabytes (75+) of movies under the itunes movie folder that I didn't know was sitting there.

6. latyshev thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that it would be pretty clear from my description and the screen shot that my USERS folder is duplicated twice - \users and \volumes\system\users.

The aperture library is half that size, its just duplicated in two places - as you can see in the screenshot, near 242 gb it says 2 files. And i have only 1 library.

Since im new to Mac, i dont even know what is VOLUMES folder for and why is it duplicating the whole system.

7. latyshev thread starter macrumors newbie

Please see above :) im not some sort of a n00b who forgot to format his hdd or empty his trash.

8. jenzjen, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

Does this help?

http://tidbits.com/article/9620

9. latyshev thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate that.

It appears that this has something to do with my NAS and stupid programming from apple's side. I use it for backup (timemachine) and as a multimedia server. So its not even a 3rd party backup application.

This is a real bummer to be honest.