MBP HDD available space readout problem. see pic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by impirepro06, Jan 20, 2012.

1. impirepro06 macrumors member

Has anyone had a problem like this? Right click on HDD and hit "Get info" and it tells me that i have more available space than my actually hdd has. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2012-01-20 at 3.58.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-01-20 at 4.03.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-01-20 at 4.06.02 PM.png

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
    • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
    • For Time Machine users on Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.
    • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
      [​IMG]
    • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

No offense to the OP (well, maybe a little), but this has got to be the most frequently asked question across Mac forums. And I imagine most searched (at least by conscientious forum members).

Maybe Apple ought to redefine that "other" category and give us all a break. It truly seems a disservice to users.

And I haven't been tracking the results of these posts about mysteriously disappearing storage, but there must be some problem besides a user being unable to identify what's stored on their drives. Anyone know what's causing this so often?

Rob

4. Bronken macrumors member

Bronken

Guys, I think hes not talking about disapperaing space or the "other" problem.

His HDD says capacity 499.xGB, Available: 513.xGB Thats what he means

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This is why you didn't even bother looking at the screenshots?

A 500 GB HDD with 513 GB available is certainly not one of the most common problems.

@OP

Try rebooting, as GGJstudios suggested.
    After that, you could try to repair disc permissions.
    [...]
    If this doesn't help, let Apple check the HDD.

edit: "Other" is reported as exactly zero KB. That's also really odd.