MBP HDD Mounting screws question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sup3r1or, Sep 8, 2010.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Today I decided to change the HDD in my MBP. I read the manual prior to that so I was all set. It took me almost an hour to take the metal back off, it was a pain in the ass as I had one of those small japanese screwdrivers set with no proper grip.

However when I disassembled everything, to my shocking discovery I came to those type of screes I rarely see. Those 4 screes on the side of the HDD (mounting screws).

I could not take them out since I had no tool for that, Im not a native english speaker so I wanted to ask anyone how are those screws called and also the proper took size or name so I can buy it tomorrow.

Thank you,

2. borisiii macrumors 6502

Actually they are Torx T8. T6 screws are much smaller and are used in mobile phones and other small electronics. With that said, you don't actually need to buy a T8 screwdriver - the screws protrude from the sides of the drive so it is very easy to unscrew them with a pair of pliers.

3. nwbusa macrumors regular

Yes, just use a small set of pliers if you don't have the proper Torx bit, and make sure you have a good grip on the screw when you unscrew it. I've done that several times and it works fine.

4. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

My Santa Rosa MBP is loaded with T6 and #00 Phillips screws.

My PB has both T6 and T8 screws.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Before you go any further, go online and get a proper set of computer tools. I got a set that includes torx bits, flathead bits, and philips bits for $20 at microcenter. It has come in handy plenty of times.

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Home Depot sells some Husky sets as well - I picked one up for about $7 - their 23 piece precision screwdriver set. Not as good as my Snap-ons or Craftsman tools; but decent enough for infrequent use.

7. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

They're not as good as Wiha or Witte either. :D

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

Nor as good as Vessel's products.