MBP HDD Recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xgambit3, Aug 16, 2010.

1. xgambit3 macrumors newbie

I am looking for a recommendation for an HDD to put into my uMBP 2009. I am planning on putting in an OWC SSD as my boot drive and I am looking for a 500GB 7200RPM drive for data. I have been considering either the Seagate 7200.4 or the WD Scorpio Black 500GB. Is there another drive that would be recommended?

Also, does it matter what location I put either drive? Should I keep the HDD in the normal bay and the SSD in the optical bay or vice versa? Does it really matter?

Lastly, can the LaCie Portable DVD USB drive be used to then install the OS onto the SSD once both drives are installed? I believe the answer is yes.

Thanks!!

2. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Scorpio Blue 1TB gets good reviews, you have the SSD for raw speed, the HDD is for storage

3. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

DO NOT buy the MOMENTUS XT from seagate. That's the only recommendation I can make. First one failed in a month in a half, replacement failed in THREE DAYS. Not compatible with Macbooks.

4. bigcat macrumors 6502

5. xgambit3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this drive fit in the HDD Bay? I thought these drives were just a little bit too big for that bay.