MBP HDD RPM speed test?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maggie9000, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Maggie9000 macrumors newbie

I had to send my 17" MBP (early 2009) in for repairs. On the first effort, they replaced my CPU and HDD with the "standard" configuration (2.6GHz, 5400 RPM) because the "genius" didn't check what was inside (2.93GHz, 7200 RPM), nor did the repair center.

I now have it back with the correct configuration -- I HOPE. I want to verify that I actually have the 7200 RPM drive the "work confirmation" lists. I'm looking to confirm the actual part, as opposed to comparing it to a benchmark.

Since I paid a lot for this Mac originally and the Apple Care Protection Plan, I want to verify that I got what I paid for.

I have looked at some HDD speed tests via Google and all I found is for benchmarking. To further complicate matters, I just installed Lion and I would assume that most of the posted results are for Snow Leopard or earlier.

I don't want to open up the case. All those screws are so tiny and I didn't roll high marks on Tool Use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Why can't you just check the system profiler?

3. Maggie9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think so

I checked that first, and saw other details about the drive, but not it's RPM. I finally found it under "rotational rate." Duh!

Thanks.

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

System profiler has everything you need. Even the tiny bits of details will be there.