MBP HDD Upgrade Process Question / Clarification

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wingnut330, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

In doing some searching I see that folks recommend SuperDuper and CCC for copying hard drives. I have a TimeCapsule and want to try that route. So, from the research that I see, it looks like I:

1. Install the drive (actually I'm having that part done at a certified shop)
    2. Put the Leopard disc in
    3. Choose to recover from a backup volume

Is that it? I guess I'm a little confused about what I'm going to see when I hit the power button on the MBP with nothing on it. I'm assuming it still has some functionality even with 'drivers' from the OS?

I plan to have it done today so any help is appreciated.

2. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

Exactly as you have listed -- one, two three.

I think that you might need to hold the 'C' key down when booting so that the computer sees the DVD and doesn't waste time trying to boot into the unformated, new hard drive.

There are other ways to do this, but you have picked the simple way, which is usually best.

good luck, Mike

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Mike. The drive is being installed now. I have to admit I'm nervous about this process. The end result will be worth it but until then I'm on pins and needles.

5. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm back in business and I must say it was a breeze. I hope other non-techies search and find this thread because it will give them the confidence to do this as well.

I took the MBP to a local certified shop and let them do the drive. When I got home I plugged in the power and turned on the MBP. It booted to the white screen and I put the OSX disc in. I followed the onscreen instructions for a step or 2 and then the tool bar across the top appeared. I clicked Utilities and then restore from a backup.

It then prompted me to login to my TC. I logged in, selected to the drive to restore my data to (new 500GB hard drive). It ran for a few minutes trying to calculate how long it would take. It said it was going to take 15 hours, but when I got up this morning (8 hours later) it was done!

It prompted me to reboot and bam I was done. Having never had a backup / restore process in place on any of my computer systems, this was a pleasant experience.

I was amazed at how easy Apple made it and how everything was just how I left it. Mail, Photos, Music, it was all there just how I left it. It even remembered the browser windows I had opened and reopened them. Very cool.

I love my Mac more and more every day! : )