MBP - HDD upgrade - Warranty for GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matosbr, Feb 17, 2009.

1. matosbr macrumors newbie

matosbr

I just bought a used MBP 2.2 ghz with the 8600m GT GPU.

I'm having real problems adapting to the 120gb hard disk, because my prior mac was a macbook with a 250gb hard disk. The MBP is older then 1 year, so it doesnt have warranty anyway, then I think I'll just upgrade the HDD myself.

But, if the GPU dies, will I still be able to change it in the 3 yrs periode? Do I have to change back the HDD before I send it to Apple?

thanks

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Firstly, opening the system doesn't void the manufacturers warranty UNLESS you break something in the process. Also, anything you change won't be covered by Apple's limited warranty.

You can check the remainder of your warranty via Apple's site. You can only upgrade/extend to AppleCare if it's still within the original Warranty, if that's expired, it's already too late. Sorry.

The MBP2.2SR takes standard 9mm, 2.5" SATA notebook drives, pretty much anything on the market will fit. You can find disassembly guides from iFixit.com.

NB: Don't be tempted with the cheaper 12mm version, they won't fit!
    Only compatible with MBP17 (non-unibody),

3. matosbr thread starter macrumors newbie

matosbr

So, I went to Apple's site and I don't have warranty.
    That means I can upgrade the HDD, as long as I don't break anything.

But what about the GPU? Will I be able to change it if it fails? Was it 2 or 3 years of "extra warranty" for the problematic Nvidia card?
    And if I need to change it, I won't need to put the original HDD in before I send it to repair, will I?

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... You can break what ever you like, so long as you don't mind paying for it (assuming you wanna have it fixed). At the end of the day, it's your machine. Provided your careful, nothing should break.

Before you dismantle anything, it's a good idea to have the correct tools for the job. You'll need....
    • Plastic Spudger
    • T6 Torx Screwdriver
    • Phillips #00 Screwdriver

Oh, be careful with the orange flexi cable, it's taped to the top of the drive.

5. matosbr thread starter macrumors newbie

matosbr

After seeing the steps in ifixit.com Im having second thoughs about it... Its a lot of opening and fixing... I may be getting a external drive with Firewire 800, like that "lifeboat" LaCie.

I really apreciate your help/tips, but you still havent awnsered my second question... My real concern here is the GPU.

6. macbookfan macrumors member

All non apple parts ram/hd must be removed b4 they will touch the machine. They gave me back my old powerbook and said that they could not fix it untill the original ram was restored when my logic board went out.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well.. If your machine fails due to nVidia's manufacturing problem, what you've changed shouldn't change anything since you won't be removing the logicboard, right? Besides, Apple knows that a percentage of their machines are affected but not all!! Apple has slapped on an extended 2 years warranty for nVidia failures, so should your machine display packs in just take it to Apple and ask them to test it (12mths warrenty + 24mths for the nVidia GPU), think it excludes everything else...

We have the same model dude and mine's about twenty months old. I've been in and out of the machine for various things and it's still beating!!

8. matosbr thread starter macrumors newbie

matosbr

Thats a relief! Thanks for helping out!:D