Mbp > Hdtv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHNguyen, Feb 10, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

Hi,
    I just purchased a HDTV Sony Bravia 32".
    Right now, I'm using the mirror mode with my MBP.. it's running 1366x768.

Everything looks fine, but it IS a little blurry. Is this just the TV or is it because the way I'm running it? Should I be running in clamshell mode? Mirror mode?

Also, is their anyway to get a higher resolution??
    I tried turning off mirror mode and using 1920x1080 but it doesn't fit correctly on the LCD, and it's not readable at all.

Any suggestions?

I just bought this to use as my monitor as well as xbox 360. But, I'm picky about things being blurry. It's not super blurry, but, it bugs me quite a bit.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

With a 32" you probably want 1366x768 on the TV and 1440x900 on the MBP. You'll need to turn off mirroring to accomplish that.

3. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I had a similar sort of issue with my macbook pro and my 24 inch lcd screen that i use on my ps3 and as an extra monitor. It goes to 1920 max res. Basically my fix was clamshell mode, or choosing the external display as the main display. Im not quite sure why it does this but thats about all i can tell you. By the way make sure the macbook pro is plugged in for clamshell mode or it wont work.

4. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Set the output of the MBP to the native resolution of your tv. this is the best way to connect it and get the best picture.

5. mosx macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that your TV is more than twice the size of your MBP screen with a lower resolution ;) So naturally it's not going to look as sharp as the smaller screen with more pixels.

Definitely try running your HDTV as the primary display rather than mirroring it. Mirroring the display means more work for the GPU.

As odd as this sounds, try running 1280x720 instead of the native resolution. Keep in mind that the TV was designed to received 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p signals and resample them to its own resolution. It might work out better than you think.

When I connect my HP to my HDTV via HDMI, I use 720p instead of the oddball 1366x768 resolution and it looks very good. But it has an ATI video processor in it too.

6. YELLOWSOUL macrumors member

would this be the same for a 37" LG

7. 3247 macrumors regular

It seems that you have the choice between HDMI (blurry because of overscan*) and VGA (blurry because its analogue).

* Most TVs enlarge the image a bit to hide garbage often present at the border of the image in TV and video sources. So much for "native" resolution.

8. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

I've been thinking about trying VGA instead.. since there's a specific VGA port for computers on the TV.

Do you recommend going this route?

I forgot to mention that I'm running my MBP with an DVI-HDMI cable. Maybe VGA-VGA would be better?

Picture quality and resolution is fine. The only problems is reading texts get a little straining.