MBP Headphone Socket temperamental...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james-bailey, Feb 1, 2011.

1. james-bailey macrumors regular

Hey folks... MBP here only 3 months old, and when I have a 3.5mm jack cable running to my stereo from the headphone socket it seems to alter the sound when wiggled...

Anyone know why this may be happening?

JB

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. james-bailey thread starter macrumors regular

Ive tested 2 wires and still the same symptoms - I am going to borrow another cable from a friend today to see how that works.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If it's the MBP, you could have gotten some foreign contaminant in the port.
    I'd recommend just taking a Q tip (the cotton tipped sticks people use to clean their ears and such) sticking it in the port (albeit not shoving) and moving it around a bit.
    I do this with my iPhone every once in a while, and you'd be surprised how much dust and such is in there from taking out and reinserting cables.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

aha!
    well in that case were looking at a new logic board which is $$ unless your under warranty, i hope you are..

edit:
    just saw mgartners post
    while ill have to agree i find the chances of that unlikely, i means i hope he doesn't carry it around in hist dusty pocket, or ports down in his backpack?

6. sydenham macrumors regular

I also find the minijack output a bit tempermental. Its almost as if it wants a nonstandard minijack cable, to work properly.