MBP headset + mic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djinn, May 18, 2008.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Just curious what kind of headset + mic people are using out there? Looking for a small headset + mic to travel with.

2. gazy1344 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have been trying to use a wireless bluetooth headset with my Macbook pro (a Jabra BT200) and found that it is not usable. By this I mean that it loose the connection all the time and even worth the quality of the calls are horrible.

I think that a better option will be to buy a wired headset.

I am currently looking for a solution using bluetooth because I don't like to be tied to my desk.

Hope this help.

Gary

3. ratter macrumors newbie

I tried a couple different bluetooth headsets (Plantronics) for VOIP with my MBP and they sucked...they'd work as long as you didn't move more than 2 feet away from the computer. Even turning your head away would cause static/interference.

Tried a USB headset, also from Plantronics - also crap.

Hmm...maybe Plantronics is the problem here...although the BT headsets both worked fine with my cell.

Anyway...in my experience, using the built in MBP mic/speakers (or earphones and built-in MBP mic if you want more privacy) worked better.

If anybody finds otherwise, I'd love to hear about it....

4. gazy1344 macrumors newbie

Good to see that I am not alone with this problem.

It is a real shame that Leopard cannot fully integrate such as simple thing.

I called Apple Support Today and they told me that they cannot help because the hardware is not listed on the Apple Store so it is not recommended. I wonder whether the headset for the Iphone will work with the Macbook Pro.

I someone has some experience with any of these device I will greatly appreciate their input.

I think that asking apple to provide us with a system that work with today's technology is one of the basic requirements for today's companies.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know what this integration issue is; I can use the internal system just fine. No the iPhone headset will not function with the mic for a very simple reason; the audio jack is stereo output only; the iPhone plugs requires audio-in in the same jack.

I just use good set of headphones with a desktop mic (Logitech Desktop Mic). I use a Sennheiser HD555 at home and a Shure E500 on the go.

6. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Check the USB port you're using...

Interestingly, there was some discussion of USB headsets and MBPs on a recent MacBreak Weekly podcast (www.twit.tv). Seems that, on the MBP, there are USB ports, and there are USB ports...

One of them, either the right side one, or the right side front (if yours has 3 USB ports) is connected to the USB hub that runs all the other stuff inside the MBP (keyboard, trackpad, etc.). The left side one is not hooked up that way, and I wasn't clear if the right-rear one was also good.

Anyway, when one of the participants switched their headset over to the left side USB port from the "hub" port, his "Cylon" voice disappeared, and all was well.

They didn't delve into the technical aspects, but this might be somthing to check out before tossing an expensive headset!

:apple:

7. alvse macrumors regular

alvse

Couldn't find this posted anywhere, and this seemed like an appropriate thread to post it in. I just found out, that if you plug your iPhone Headset into the Unibody Macbook's audio out, you can control playback in iTunes like you would on the iphone with the button on the mic (i.e. 3 click to go forwards, 2 to go back, 1 to start/stop)....