MBP Heat dissippation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shivetya, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

OK. I keep seeing people saying to buy a stand for MBP as they get hot. I did check out the ones at Best Buy which were just running that demo add and they were a bit toast in the back left corner.

Mine is going to live on a glass desk. Its not like it would get hot enough to damage the desk but I am curious about dissipation of heat on different surfaces. Now in my dealing with servers and such heat is dissipated from the drives not only by air flow but the contact with the case through the mounts.

So wouldn't some of these "elevated" stands for MBP and the like actually have them run hotter since the air underneath wouldn't be moving and as such not as good as being in contact with a surface that can absorb heat?

Also, didn't get any bites last time, looking for a good monitor stand I can place over my MBP (it will run closed lid at home with an external kb/ms/monitor)

2. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Glass is one of the better surfaces I've used my MBP (older one) on as far as thermals are concerned. Wood is bad but not terribly so and soft surfaces aren't great either. Just remember that your MBP was designed to operate without any assistance to the cooling or ventilation system.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

you shouldn't find it to be a problem. I have both an old mbp and an older powerbook, both of which had similar comments made about them in their day, and both of them work fine to this day.

yes they get hot, but as grahamnp mentioned, they are designed to reach the temperatures they do