MBP Heat/graphics issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ODST Dragon, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ODST Dragon macrumors newbie

About my Mac:

Macbook Pro 15 inch from early June, 2010.

Started with 4 GB RAM, one stick went out and replaced with a 4 GB.
    Total of 6 GB now.
    NViDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Intel i7 processor
    500 GB hard drive, NOT solid state.

The problem I am having occurs when I play a game. I first notticed it while watching a replay from Star Craft 2, then when I played the first Star Craft. After a reboot and a diagnostic, no errors were found, so I installed smc Fan control again. Even with the fans going on full with a cooling pad, the problem continues to occur. It also happens when playing Amnesia and Minecraft, yet Star Craft 2 itself seems to work fine...

The problem is that at random times it seems, my computer locks up. The display flashes then goes out completely, and if sound had been playing it begins a short loop of that sound. The keys stay lit up.

I first notticed this problem awhile back, and Tech support just told me to reboot my computer every so often. Although, back then it was only after I would wake the computer from sleep and start doing something.

The problem with games has only started up here recently...the first time I tried watching an old Star Craft 2 replay.

Sometimes I can play a game with no problem and I quit before anything happens. I've played for a few hours, nothing happens. Then there are sometimes, after awhile, it cuts out. However, one of the games will even cut out within moments of starting the game.

Anyone have an idea of what's going wrong with my computer?

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I remember my aluminum MacBook having those issues because of the 6GB of RAM. I found out it was because my RAM was no longer running in dual channel mode/unmatched RAM, but I'm not sure if that's the same reason in this case.

3. ODST Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to fix this, other than getting an additional 2 GB of RAM or avoid losing my extra 2? I've loved having the extra power, all my stuff runs so much smoother. Well...used to. xD

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I strongly doubt your RAM has anything at all to do with this.

Sounds like a logicboard issue to me.

5. pixor macrumors member

The RAM may not be installed properly.

Try removing and re-inserting.

6. ODST Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

If it weren't installed properly, shouldn't this issue have come up sooner? It's only started doing this within the last few days with games, and it took awhile for it to need the occasional reboot.

If there's something wrong with the logic board, what would be the best course of action to correct that issue?

Something else I saw last night had said something about reapplying the thermal paste...I dunno if that would be relevant here or not.

7. wambo macrumors newbie

Your issue could be that you have 2 different sized RAM sticks in there, try buying another identical 4gb stick so your total is 8gb.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

That doesn't matter, all modern intel chipsets fully support this.

9. wambo macrumors newbie

Maybe they do but I'd still only use identicle sticks of RAM.

10. ODST Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

To rule this out, I'll remove the smaller stick and see if I can get the computer to lock up again, run a diagnostic and see what will happen.

11. ODST Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooof. After a series of setbacks, I finally got around to testing this thing. I pulled out the two gig stick and it crashed upon the starcraft 2 replay loading. Tried without my power adapter, same result.

I have the problem report saved, I just can't understand it thanks to it being a long, long line of text that I can't make sense out of.

12. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Is it this issue? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083?start=0&tstart=0

It's common to MBP with 330GT and even other laptops. The symptoms are the screen suddenly turns black when using the discrete card. Most people started experiencing this with OS X Lion, but others said the problem started in 10.6.8. Apple released a video fix recently but it's not a permanent fix but they have extended the warranties of those machines to 2 years.

Read the thread to see if the problem is the same and if it is, I would bring it to the Genius bar who will swap the logic board to one with a fixed graphics chip. I'm going to go to the Genius bar for my machine as soon as I finish up all these exams!

13. ODST Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what's happening to my computer. Problem is the nearest Genius Bar is pretty far off from me...can I take it to an authorized service place, and this won't cost me anything, will it?

14. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

If it's a certified repair shop, it shouldn't. If you don't have applecare, you may have to show them the proof that apple extended the warranty to two years. Aside from that you should be fine.

15. ODST Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

Where do I find this proof? I called Apple and I was told that the only program for something like this is from computers made back in 2008. They said to take it in and the store could diagnose it. I want to know exactly what type of hand I have before I go in anywhere. I can't afford to pay for repairs.

16. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Here's the support article. Some people say they printed it out or showed the site to the Genius because apparently not all Geniuses have heard of the problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088