MBP heat sink screw casings broke away from logic board - how to reattach?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mustgroove, May 2, 2016.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

This afternoon, I removed the heat sink and replaced the thermal compound on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), and in the course of doing so, I managed to break away from the logic board the metal thread housing that 2 of the heat sink screws screw into (not sure if that's exactly the right terminology for it). The below pic illustrates which screws are affected:

[​IMG]

Basically when I went to unscrew these 2 screws, rather than the screws unscrewing cleanly from the threaded metal casing attached to the logic board, those metal casings broke away from the logic board entirely, with the screws still screwed inside.

The issue now is how to reattach them to the logic board - at the moment it's as if those screws aren't there at all, because they're not screwing into anything anchored to the logic board any more. I need to find a way of re-attaching the bottom of those metal screw casings to the logic board, so those screws are applying force to the heatsink again.

What is gonna be the best way to do that? Is there a type of glue that would suffice, or is it a soldering job?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

They're either pressed into the logic board or soldered down. Either way, a logic board replacement may be the only way to really fix it.

3. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

Difficult one that.
    Maybe this video helps, not sure it will, but might give some inspiration

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

In the past, I've bought metal epoxy glue. It's a two component epoxy that you can use to connect metal pieces. It was not cheap, something like €15 or so, but it's probably worth a shot.
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2016 ---
    As an alternative you could perhaps simply find a proper sized bolt and screw. The bolt clamps the heatsink to the logic board.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only risk there is to make sure that the screw/bolt doesn't touch anything else, as it may cause a short.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

@ mustgroove You need to epoxy the metal fittings back in to the Main Logic Board, make sure that the epoxy is fully cured prior to tightening the screws, also ensure that you don't get any epoxy on the fittings internal threads. As for the epoxy you need to ensure that it`s compatible with both the fitting & the board. A good electronics store will be able to advise or a spot of research on. Not too much of a big problem, just need a steady hand, a little patience and your RMBP will be good to go.

FWIW best to apply some heat before attempting to remove the screws, as they are likely held tight with a thread locker, applying heat helps to break the bond.

Q-6

7. satishsarma macrumors newbie

satishsarma

So I have the same problem however the casings were not holed or embedded in the logic board. They were in my opinion glued as the logic board underneath these casings are clean. Any idea which glue can be used?