MBP heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jul 26, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a couple low consumption processes open, and only 5% of the CPU used, but the temp is 155. What is wrong? It always heats up like this when I boot up, never cool. Plus, the fans never rev up until about 180 degrees F. Help?

Attached Files:

• Temp.jpg
      Temp.jpg
      File size:
      675.8 KB
      Views:
  2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

There are many threads that are dedicated to this issue. Search the forums.

Exactly how many processes do you have open? The highest my CPU has ever went was 180, and that was when I had been ripping my entire CD collection into iTunes (5 days:eek:) for 12 hours straight (that means 100% CPU for just about 12 hours in a row). Right now, my MBP 15" (in my lap) is fine with two tabs of Safari, activity monitor, Skype and Finder open; my CPU is only at 117. My fan is at 2008 rpm. My room is around 78 degrees. Are you in a hot room? Do you have a 13"? Is it in your lap? All of these factors might contribute to your heat issue. 5% CPU usage should not be 155, but since I do not own a 13" (assuming you do because it's so hot?) I cannot tell you if it's normal.

Hope this helps, and don't forget to search the forums!;)

3. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Oh, and if you are really worried, install SMC fan control or Coolbook. I tried SMC, but I quickly deleted it. I just don't need it most of the time, for my laptop does what it's supposed to do when it gets hot. The fans ramp up nicely and it stays cool for the most part, except when it's at 100% for a long time (then it's expected).

4. theimacdude macrumors member

theimacdude

It depends where you use it. If you always use it on your lap, it may get a bit hot - and also when I use it in bed, it tends to get hot. if your doing that, check out the iLap. Its a tad pricey, but its worth it if you don't want your $1500 laptop to melt.

If your using it on a desk, this shouldn't really happen... I'd say see a Genius. Also its worth checking out the Griffin Elevator, it'll give your MacBook a lot of room to breath, and it brings it up to eye level, so your neck isn't straining.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

it's usually better to monitor in Celsius. that way you have a better idea of what is good and bad

anything over 95 is usually going to get ugly quick. so keep it below 100 and you're good

a lot simpler for me anyways..

and yeah, i agree just use a fan control program. i used to get up in the 80's while running a bunch of things below games on my Mac mini... i upped the fans to to be on all the time and it reduced it down to ~65

6. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Okay, thank you. I have the 15" 2008 Unibody, so I've read a lot about those computers having the excessive thermal paste issue, but I'm sure it is not that. Oh, airplaneman, I bet your total high usage uptime! I was at a LAN party for 3 days, and the computer was in Boot Camp running Crysis Wars, COD4, COD5, Timeshift, and Fallout 3 for almost 36 hours straight. I had like 17 cup noodles and three dozen cans of Coke... I then crashed for a week, but it was worth it. Plus, my BT mouse ran through a pack of 12 AAs. :) Temps borderlining 200 the whole time. I mean, I had the bottom open and propped up on Legos, with a laptop cooler underneath so I could overclock to 2.88, and the NVIDIA with nTune. System rating in Vista was 5.9, but I didn't install the latest update that lets it go father.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

WOW. Dang.:eek: Mebbe you wore out the heatsink... :D

8. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I dont think apple has ever been concerned with heat as much as they have been with performance. From the get go, my mbp has always been way hotter than my ibook.

It is just something I have had to get used to and something you will get used to as well.

9. pnyc macrumors 6502

How hot it is where you are at the moment will also impact how much and how quickly your MBP will heat up. Right now while browsing, emailing, etc my current CPU temp is 144F with room temp being 85F.

I don't think you should be concerned since although the MBP heats up as far as it's ability to function is concerned it seams to work without any problems.

10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Oh, by the way, I was installing stuff on Parallels and my CPU went up to 167 degrees. Fan still at 1996 RPM:). Not too hot when I felt it.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

download fancontrol? That'll let you modify the fan speed yourself, cooling the temps drastically.