MBP HELP for Music Production

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Troncat, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Troncat macrumors newbie

Troncat

Hello,

I'm on the verge of purchasing my first MBP for uses in: programming and music production (with Logic Studio). I'm looking at having these specs:

17in MacBook Pro
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

But...my main issue for making a final decision, is which Hard Drive would you all recommend? I was planning on getting the 750GB Serial ATA Drive @5400 RPM for all that memory, but I'm concerned that this will be a setback in the long run. Your input is much appreciated!

2. fjdude macrumors newbie

iMac

Hey...i'm in the same boat as you. I've been wondering the same question until i realized that an iMac would be a better and cheaper choice.

Given that Logic Pro X hasn't been released its tough to say what the system requirements will be and there's a risk that newer version may strain the MBP depending on how many effects and tracks you're playing around with. The higher end iMac is much more powerful and should be enough for your needs

If you don't care about portability and will be doing all your recording in one place, then i would strongly recommend you consider purchasing an imac instead.

If you DJ then a MBP is the obvious choice.

My advice - if portability is not an issue, buy the high end iMac.

3. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

IMHO, you would probably be fine with the 750 GB. However, I would upgrade to 7200 RPM for music production. Even garageband hangs up on me with my 5400 RPM, I would imagine logic studio being a little worse.

In the long run, every hard drive is going to fail at some point. That's why I kept to the stock drive for my MBP. When it fails a few years down the road, I might spring for an SSD or hybrid drive since they'll be cheaper by then.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i'm running logic on a 2008 macbook (2.4g core2duo, 4gigs ram).
    stock 5200rpm drive.

when i work on music, i usually reboot, and open ONLY logic. just worked 2 days in a row like this (ok, i cheated; checked email and the web), and all went well (i don't record here, just mixing); but a lot of plugins.

your experience should be even better...

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I actually have the exact setup in the OP but my hard drives are a main SSD 256 from apple and a 2nd 7200 RPM 750GB Scorpio Black.

For music recording you should do 7200 RPM or SSD, no 5400 RPM.

You should either just buy a 750GB Scorpio black as your main drive, or, if you consider you have to take off the back cover and replace the RAM via third party anyway, why not get the optibay modification and slide that baby in there too? Its almost as easy as changing the ram, just a couple extra screws.

6. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Also make sure you upgrade the ram after market, only saves you like $120 :rolleyes: and I would recommend the western digital Scorpio black 750 GB, it runs at 7200 rpm and has 16 MB of cache so it should fare you quite well.