MBP Help with a model no. (UK)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricksen24, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ricksen24 macrumors member

Hi guys looking for some help.

Ordered a Macbook Pro from an online store, they messed me around so much that i had to cancel the order.

The model number i'm after is (Z0LYOB/A) the problem i'm having is that i cant seem to find this model number anywhere else but the chain of stores i ordered it from originally!

Anyone know why that would be? Is it built especially for this store? Is there a similar spec model for the same price?

Here's a link to it as well.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/apple-macbook-pro-13-laptop-z0lyob-a-silver-10962114-pdt.html

I really need a 500gb hard drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

Looks like a special SKU for Dixons/Currys/PC World.

Same model is £30 more from direct from Apple and I see John Lewis have a compromise of internal 320GB with an external 500GB. You also get their excellent 2 year extended warranty. Hope this helps.

3. ricksen24 thread starter macrumors member

Il take a look on Apple official site, thanks for that.

How long can i expect to wait for delivery from Apple?

4. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

I have not ordered from them direct for a couple of years but it was a case of purchase in the morning, creditcard debited that afternoon, shipped the following day and then I was picking it up from my local UPS depot the day after.

John Lewis typically have them out the back if you have one locally.

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a

6. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

I totally agree. I always buy the base models and then add RAM/HD upgrades myself. It works out cheaper plus the Apple parts come in useful for other machines. My Apple 4GB RAM is in the Mrs' Acer, her 2GB from that is in my Netbook. Three machines upgraded for the £35 8GB MBP RAM from scan.co.uk. Apple wanted £160!

7. ricksen24 thread starter macrumors member

That's my problem mate, im kind of stuck in the middle of no where here. Nearest John lewis is 5 hours drive.

----------

Wouldn't this throw the warranty out?

This is what annoys me about apple. What use is a 320gb hard drive these days. Shocking.

8. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

Nope, they are unsupported end user upgradable parts. If you have a warranty claim, you'll need to put the original back and show the issue is still there before Apple will take a look.

9. alFR macrumors 68020

Wouldn't touch Dixons / PC World / Currys with a bargepole: too many experiences like yours (and heard too many stories like yours from others). As MrJolly says, go John Lewis (they do mail order too: see here, next day delivery is £6.95) or direct from Apple.

10. ricksen24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, think i will go Apple direct i don't want to spend anything like a thousand pound on a laptop and mess it up by trying to install memory when i have no experience!