MBP help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mugs, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

hey my sis brought her mbp back from america n left it at our house while she went out. She wanted us to do sum of the updates it needed, so my dad did software update n one of the things was an intel update, this in the end didnt install but the computer said it needed a restart so he restarted it and now it is just stuck with the apple logo and the grey spinning thing! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

2. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Try zapping the PRAM by starting up the machine and immediately holding Command+Option+P+R. Hold it until you hear the chime three times. This will most likely not fix your problem, but it is worth a try.

3. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

thanks but that hasnt done anything, is there any mode I can start it up in? Its really annoying cus it was the updates that did it!

4. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys, I no most of you are asleep in america bt whoever is awake, I would really appreciate ur help bcus my sis is going back to America soon!

5. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Try starting it up in Verbose mode, hold down the "v" key after poweron. See what the error messages say, if any.

6. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

that didnt do anything, it stayed exactly the same. This is soooo annoying! Is there anything else I can do?

7. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

actually when I held down v and the power button and kept them down, the sleep light flickered then it made a long beep, then back to the spinning grey thing.

8. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

call Apple, see what they have to say about it

9. geissap macrumors member

Ok first off this means you held the power button down to long. That's all.

Ok you just fudged an update. More than likely a simple Archive and Install will fix this.

However, you will need the original install discs that came with the computer to fix this. If you have them great...if you don't call the sister and tell her she needs to bring em with her.

To perform and Archive and Install:
    -Boot up to the gray screen that your getting.
    -Stick Install Disc 1 in
    -Reboot the computer and hold down on C which will force it to boot to the CD
    -Select your language
    -Click next
    -Click next or accept can't quite remember
    -Select your destination drive and then click on options. Select archive and install click ok
    -Click next
    -Click Finish

Should be good to go.

10. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

hey we're guna buy leopard, can I start from the disc n upgrade through that? Because there is a lot of stuff on the computer that has not been backed up or do we have to wipe it clean? Thanks a lot you guys.

11. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

you can do an 'archive and install' from the retail Leopard Disk. Although there are no gauratnees that it won't mess up, it is one of Apple's Recommended installation methods. Worse case scenario is that your Sister will be tee'd off for a while... But families tend to get over it. Godspeed little Droog...:D

12. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

hey mate thanks a lot if the archive and install works, wot do i do with the old system folder???

13. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

hey it worked!!! thanks so much, but where do i find the old os folder thing n wot do i do with it? thanks