MBP Hinge A Bit Off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rithem, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

The hinge on my MBP seems to be a bit off. I thought it was but ignored it since I didn't have any concrete proof, just intuition. Well today I bought the Speck Satin Case for my MBP. As soon as I put it on the left side of the case kept grinding against the lid/monitor of my MBP. I'm returning the case on Monday and have an appointment with the Genius Bar. Anyone know how long this will take to fix? I don't think I'll have to pay but I did drop my MBP before (long story short I didn't pay for the top case, Genius was really nice) but the problem existed before I dropped it.

2. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

Update: Went in to the Apple Store. Going to get my display replaced. I asked the Genius if he could put in a Anti-Glare instead. To my surprise the Genius said yes and that he "accidentally" wrote down AG instead of glossy. Win! :cool:

3. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

You know when i bought my MBP i7, my left side also rubbed against the bottom half of my MBP when i opened/closed my lid. I noticed that my whole screen wasn't aligned with the bottom half which was causing the rubbing.

Instead of taking it to the apple store 3 hours away, I put my MBP against the wall with some foam padding (so it won't scratch) and used my wallet to apply force on the screen and pushed it back into place.

I guess i shouldn't have to worry about this on a 2000$+ computer, but it works if anyone else has this problem.

4. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

I tried to realign it by myself but couldn't. Luckily an Apple store is only about 15 minutes away.

5. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

It actually took me about an hour and a half to finally figure out the best tools and positions that worked. Anyways, gratz on the new antiglare screen! I'll never go back to glossy =P.

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

7. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

I'm really excited and nervous about my AG screen. I like the black bezel but the glare does get annoying.

Yeah it is. I don't think it happens.... ever. Considering I got a free top case replacement too. I think this MBP is lucky.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Congrats on the excellent service you received from Apple. I can assure you that you will be very happy you asked for that antiglare screen. It's not just the reflections that destroy your picture, the color isn't natural on the glossy as it is on the antiglare. I felt the same way when I ordered mine, I thought I would be sorry. Not a single person I've read so far on here has regretted going with the antiglare. The bezel goes very well and matches the Macbook Pro perfectly. :)

9. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

You don't really have to worry about the whole gloss/antiglare thing. Like everyone else says, its a preference. In the real world however, they both look beautiful =).

10. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

Honestly the level of service I received from apples was surprising to say the least. Never expected this kind of service at all. A new display that wasn't even the spec that I ordered but one that I wanted after a full 2 months with the glossy display. Also a free top case after my friend dropped it 2 weeks after I bought it. And the bottom case is a 60$ replacement. Side note I also got my logic board replaced. Looks like the only part that hasn't been replaced was my HDD so far.

Thanks for the reassurance on the AG screen guys

11. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

Got my MBP back today with the HR AG. Wow. Just wow. I never saw a AG screen before and just wow. Definitely impressed by this. Never going back to Glossy.