MBP Hinges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Julio, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Julio macrumors newbie

Is it me or are these little suckers not as firm as they should be? I feel like the hinges are flimsy and weak... I have a Sony VAIO before and I could swing that mofo around and it would never close. The MBP lid is frustratingly loose, IMO.

Is this normal or is my MBP faulty?

When I say loose I mean that if I lift the MBP and make a 90 degree angle using the lid and bottom, the weight of the lid can close it if I tap it slightly. I could make a video if necessary.

I don't mean that just holding it in the above position buckles the hinges, but I feel like very little effort is required in closing it. At certain times, when held in the 90 degree position the lid will slooooowly close on it's own with no wobbling done on my part.

2. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

That does not sound normal to me at all
    ive played around w/ multiple mbp's at both best buy and the apple stores
    u should find out if theres a way to tighten the hinges
    if not
    take it into the apple store
    and they should be able to fix it up
    and ull be all set

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Loose hinges are fairly common on MBPs. When I move mine around, the screen usually flops backwards and forwards. Yours seems a tad bit looser though, as mine doesn't close by itself when I tilt it at 90 degrees (just checked. ha). A video would be nice, but really this is something Apple should look at for you.

4. Julio thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have taken it into an Apple store, but I live in gainesville, and Best Buy is the closest thing we've got, and I don't want to just hand it over to the Geek Squad after the horror stories I have heard. The hinges are not as loose I as made them out to be, the lid doesn't SLAM shut or anything under it's own weight.

If anyone knows how to tighten the hinges that would be great, but I doubt there is a simple process that doesn't involve me opening it up and voiding my warranty.

I can live with the loose hinges, they haven't really caused me major stress, just minor nuisance. Those $2,000 I dropped is making me nitpick I guess. lol

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

it seems your hinges are loose. my macbook pro doesn't do that and all the other one's i've tried in stores feel like mine. only the 17 inchers should have looser hinges because the way the hinge is designed compared to the 15 inchers.

6. Julio thread starter macrumors newbie

If that's the case I really would like to know what you think I should do. Is there any way to tighten them without having to send it for 3 weeks? Maybe a case of some kind that has the added effect of firming up the hinges?

My desk is pretty wobbly (I am in college and poor) so even when I type my MBP lid is wobbling back and forth on its stand. It's really irritating. :(