MBP Hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ktalebian, Mar 8, 2009.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there!
    My MBP has recently become very hot!! I have the smcFanControl, and have it on full power, but my laptop is right now at 73C!! I have basically only Safari, and Transmission open! So I am not doing anything hardcore for the laptop to heat up!
    This just happened starting from yesterday!!!
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Transmission the torrent client? That can be a massively heavy load depending on how many torrents you have going.

But anyway, With the fan control software turned up can you tell if the fans are working?

It they are working and it's still hot after Transmission has been exited for awhile then you might need to clean your system. You know, dust bunnies and stuff. :D

If you can't hear the fans then it need repair. ;)

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As i keep telling people here, stop using SMC Fan Control.

SMC Fan Control sucks

Delete SMC Fan Control and use Fan Control 1.2

Base Speed = 2000RPM
    Lower Threshold = 60C
    Upper Threshold = 81C

SMC Fan Control doesn't work in Windows unless you log into OS X first, SMC Fan Control doesn't automatically modify your fan speeds, Fan Control 1.2 does all these things.

5. jovanboi macrumors member

SMC works pretty well for me, so far anyway. I started using it two days ago because my MBP was just too warm under the bottom. Now, I average between 30c to 55c (58c max with videos).

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

yeah but you constantly have to set it to the speed you want, Fan Control 1.2 does it automatically. For me its a waste of time thing.

7. jovanboi macrumors member

Oh I think I looked at Fan Control first, on Macupdate. I decided against it because it hasn't been updated in awhile. At the moment I have SMC set to 3500...I'm gonna just leave the fans there for the foreseeable future, fingers cross that I won't need to change the speed again.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Windows is updated more often than OS X, doesn't make it better, just means it has more errors that the coders have to fix more often.
    3500 is nowhere near enough for serious coding or gaming in Windows.

9. jovanboi macrumors member

Good thing I don't game or use Windows ;)

10. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

I second

using fan control 1.2 over SMC as it is automatic and really keeps things cool by moving the fan speed up in small increments unlike SMC and you don't have to keep checking istat as you know fan control is taking care of things. Plus, keeping your fans running at a constant 3500 can't be good for your fan life amongst other things.

11. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Are you saying you have Fan Control working for Windows via Bootcamp? Works fine in OSX for me but I haven't noticed anything running Vista.

John B.

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's also prone to random freakouts, like deciding all your temps are 0C, and your fans are at -192839843rpm. No option for binding different fans to different sensors, (NO WAY to ramp the BOTH fans following the GPU Diode, there is a mod version to control one from that), no option to change the delta (which is absurdly low, like .5%).

I tried not once but twice to like FanControl 1.2. I REALLY wanted to, but smcFanControl is really more flexible if you are willing to babysit it, since you can make presets with a defined rpm for each fan. And it does what it is supposed to. Hell, a nice add-on to it would be something like the RivaTuner launcher, that could just auto-launch a preset based on temp. (I actually prefer that way to the ramp method, I love RTs fan control, it's a shame it only works for video card coolers, and only in Windows)

13. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Seems that my version doesn't do that though:confused: My version sets a "minimum," but doesn't set an ultimate speed which the fans should spin at

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Pretty much same thing here. But I don't remember the freakouts in 1.2. It's been too long. Their was something about stability but I either thought it was fixed by 1.2 or something else <scratches head>. The rest of your description is the reason I'm using smcFanControl though. That fits it.

Of course scmFanControl could stand to be a little more sophisticated I think. ;)