Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Like the 15inch and 17inch PBs, does the MBP have the ability to hot swap batteries while in sleep mode? I think that's the correct idea, if I'm remembering correctly, that works with the newer PBs.

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
I don't see why not. Why would Apple engineer their high end notebooks withOUT such a feature if it was in their previous versions?

P.S. lilstewart92, that quote on your sig nearly made spit out my coffee all over my cinema display. Funniest thing I've read in a while. :D

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
PowerbookG4 said:
Swap Batteries Without Shutting Down

Running low on power? Your 15-inch or 17-inch PowerBook is so accommodating, you can swap out batteries with minimal interruption. Put the PowerBook to sleep. Remove the current battery. Pop in the new battery. Wake up your PowerBook. You don’t even need to save your work.

I just checked the macbookpro pages, I didn't see anything like that.
If I would have to guess, I would say not:(

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Um, yes...Mac OS X 10.0 was Cheetah. I don't understand your comment.

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
thejadedmonkey said:
I just checked the macbookpro pages, I didn't see anything like that.
If I would have to guess, I would say not:(

Works fine. I put my MBP to sleep (normal sleep, not safe sleep / hibernate), took out the battery, counted to 10, put the battery back in, and hit the power button. It came right back out of sleep with no problems.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
NEoPHYte31 said:
According to this aricle, MB Pros do support hotswapping.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88059

The service manual says no.
Back up battery
The back battery is no longer a rechargeable. It only provides power to the real time clock and does not support system memory.

If you don’t have a power adapter connected, when you swap a battery in a running system, it must be done from sleep. The system will shutdown when you remove the battery. When you power back up, it will boot up from hiberation.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/182117/

Take it with a grain of salt though, on the first page it says the powerbook and mbp power adaptors are interchangeable.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I just read that too ... it just means that if you're using the powerbook unplugged (on battery) and you remove the battery, the powerbook shuts itself off via hibernation. When the battery is replaced and the power button pressed, the powerbook will wake up from sleep.

Testing on my 17" PB ... well duh, my computer shuts down when the batt is removed. Where is the power!

But the main point is ...
when you swap a battery in a running system, it must be done from sleep
... which pretty much means the batteries are hotswappable when the mbp is sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.