[MBP] How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesHume, Aug 6, 2008.

1. JamesHume macrumors newbie

At the moment I'm currently converting an avi to mpeg with iSquint. I only have the conversion program going and Safari. Using iSlayer to monitor temps, I'm currently hovering right under 80C in the 76-78 range. CPU is currently at 70% constant usage. I imagine when I Handbrake a DVD, temperatures would get even higher (didn't have the temp software installed when I was Handbrake'ing stuff).

I know MBP's get hot, and the heat isn't bothering me. I'm just wondering, when should I start worrying about the internals when it gets too hot? How hot is to hot for the Macbook Pro?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Core2 Duos can reach ~100C, and when it does, it automaticly shuts down your machine, so no worries.

f you do much cpu intensive stuff i'd reccomend getting a laptopstand.

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Coolbook

I bought a tool called Coolbook and temps in my MBP are under 70C (heavy load) and in mid 50C (normal usage).

4. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

i bought a laptop stand from akasa 4 years ago for my *Gasp* Sony Vaio [sarcasm]wow![/sarcasm]

ive used it with MBP MB PB and it really cools them down - there are loads on amazon and ebuyer (mine was from www.overclockers.co.uk)

for £10 - 20 its worth it!

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

The hottest my Core Duo has gotten was around 79c. That's pretty damn hot. Just remember: it's not a "laptop" it's a "notebook"... So it's in spec :p

6. adiosk8 macrumors regular

Mine also gets toasty, a little more then I want it... I was thinking about opening it up and redoing the thermal paste... has anyone here done that and found it worth while? Thanks

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I've read some posts saying worthwhile and other sources saying it's not. I don't know what the general results are. I can't see it making too much of a difference. My laptop is still under warranty so no modding for me yet, but if I open this bad boy up in a year, I'll probably reapply for the sake of it.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

This is a good thread to have read through if your considering re-applying

9. adiosk8 macrumors regular

I have looked at that thread before and I always get the feeling that it's a little dated. I currently have a core2duo MBP 2.16 and it gets to about 80C under load.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Why do you think paste isn't applied anymore ? anyways those temps aint worth worrying about when they start going above 100c then start to think about possible fix's like another member posted it'll shutdown before any damage can be done

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I have one of the original MacBook Pros and that thing gets as hot as hell. Heat was always an issue with these new Intel notebooks.

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Under high stress (using pro apps) my MBP gets up to 80C. Haven't seen anything hotter than that.

Under normal conditions (web browsing, word processing) I get from 38C-50C.

Play with smcFanControl, it's a good program if you're concerned about heat. Everytime I increase the fans by increments of 2000rpm temps go down about 8C-10C, so it's pretty helpful. For me the fan doesn't really get very noisy, if anything the lowered temps are worth the very slight noise.

13. JamesHume thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't that put a lot of stress on the fans, causing them to fail earlier?

14. adiosk8 macrumors regular

I idle around 63C and max load 100% I run at about 82-84C. My idle temp seems to be a lot hotter than most

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Mine idles at 40C, and gets to around 50C using iTunes, MSN and FF3. Upto 70C when on Spore.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Idle @ 40ºC, Active @ 60ºC, Encoding @ 75ºC.

No Coolbook or fan controlling. Fan is quiet.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You think that's HOT?

Jesus... Wait till your crunching numbers with Motion3 for 2 days - non-stop (on MacBook Pro) both fans whirling at full 6000-6005rpm, the room's air conditioner set to 21°C, it's the middle of summer here in Japan and i'm wearing a long sleeve to keep warm! Yet, the CPU's are STILL hitting 104°C!! - I can cook bleedin' breakfast!!!

I've initially changed the paste from Apple's messy default to ArticSilver5, making it a little more efficient. Still, thankfully the Intel Processors are able to handle it. They're safe and stable right up to 125°C!!