Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awfulgrace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
I often play movies on an external Sony LCD via a Displayport-to-HDMI adapter. For the laptop display I have automatic brightness changing turned off, however in the setting for the Sony TV there is no checkbox.

When watching a movie, the brightness shifts all over the place when a dark scene comes on. I've even tried wrapping the entire laptop up in a dark sheet (to block the light sensor) and it helps a bit but I'm worried about heat and it's a pretty ghetto (and not even 100% effective) solution.

So my questions:

1. Is there a way to disable auto brightness changing for external displays?
2. Is it possible the TV is the one changing brightness? Don't think so because it doesn't otherwise do it.

R3alsp33dy0ne

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Sounds like Dynamic Contrast on the TV. A lot of LCD TV's (including my Samsung) have individual display settings per input. Meaning if you turned off dynamic contrast for HDMI-1 it will still be enabled when you switch to HDMI-2 etc.

awfulgrace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
Sounds like Dynamic Contrast on the TV. A lot of LCD TV's (including my Samsung) have individual display settings per input. Meaning if you turned off dynamic contrast for HDMI-1 it will still be enabled when you switch to HDMI-2 etc.

PERFECT! This is what it was -> "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" was set to Medium. I turned it off. Thanks!

torrentprime

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012

A year or so later...
Google led me here, and this thread fixed my problem.

Thanks dude!

enrvuk

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
About 9 years later, on an LG. Also solved my problem. Smart Energy Saving in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.