MBP I put it in, now it won't come out! :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iHateMacs, May 30, 2009.

1. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

While looking at my old Sony Vaio, I noticed it had the same Express port thing on the side as my Early 2008 MBP 15".

Like a fool I ejected the dummy plastic thing freom the Vaio and tried it in the MBP.

OOPS! Now the thing won't come out. If I push it further in until it clicks, it pops out slightly, but it's still trapped.

Any suggestions on how to get it out that don't involve damage to the MBP or having to open it up?

I don't need to use the port so I could just leave it in, but it's got to come out one day.

I thought that these things would be interchangeable. They fit the same ports so why are they not compatible.

2. Simo1122 macrumors member

Simo1122

Grab hold of it with something sticky and try pulling it out. Or see if you can pry it out with a card or something.

3. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

tweezers

Try using a pair if tweezers. i had the same thing happen wth an old laptop of mine and tweezers got it right out. If you can find ones with teeth at is even better helps give it some grip. Medical tweezers, locking forceps, or even clamp scissors. Good luck.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is indeed the best thread title.

OP: First, why would you want some clunky piece of plastic in a slot that already had a nice cover? Second, I would try tweezers as well. Third, I hope you don't hate Macs because of this incident that was entirely your fault.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Sure your Vaio is ExpressCard34?

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have always found a little lube™ helps to prevent that

Tweezers FTW

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha these were going to be my responses.

8. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Thanks for the replies, but you don't understand the problem fully. Maybe I didn't explain it clearly.

The thing is in the hole properly. As if I have pushed home a proper Express34 thing. It's locked in place.

If I push it further, it releases as it is supposed to and pops out of the hold by about 1cm.

The problem is, even though I can get a perfect grip of it, there is something preventing it coming out. Some sort of catch.

9. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

That will probably be the door or cover of the ExpressCard slot. Try using a peice of card or something to hold the door open whilst you pull the plastic out?

10. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I'm a little late to the party, but...

That's what she said!
    :D

11. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Thank you. Yes that is what was catching. Luckily the dummy ExpressCard34 was hollow so I could just poke something in from the top to depress the spring flap slightly.

I noticed in my Vaio bag that it came with a VGP-MCA20 SD card reader. The underside of this is perfectly smooth, unlike the plastic thing. I tried this in there now and that ejects perfectly.

12. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

I'm glad I could be of assistance! ;)

Lesson learned: Never poke objects in to holes they're not designed to enter in to.

13. Benjic macrumors regular

It's almost as if his MacBook accidentally the whole thing. The whole thing.

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

+1