Mbp: I Waited, I Bought It, I Love It!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garyoke, Oct 21, 2008.

1. garyoke macrumors member

Waited and waited for the update - bought it sight unseen the day it was released - and I love it. Quick summary of thoughts about the controversial concerns:

1. The Glossy Screen - Beautiful. So bright I usually tone it down a notch or two. I tuned out the reflections within hours. I work in a high flourescent overhead environment, and the reflections are a non-issue. Even with iPhoto and Aperture. I never use the laptop outdoors, so can't comment on that- but boy, what a sharp image! The black bezel is beautiful, and artificially brightens the image on the screen even more. That's why I have black drapes around my projection screen at home too.

2. The Single Button touchpad - Took to it easily. Thumb automatically goes to the bottom to click. Slightly different pressure. No problem. Multifinger scrolling is a joy. Wouldn't have known it was glass unless I read it. Perfect friction coefficient.

3. Chicklet keyboard - Love it. I swear my typing speed has improved!

4. Haven't noticed any heat yet- unlike the Pbook it replaced which got quite hot.

To buy or not to buy, isn't that the question?

My son has last year's MBP, the model that is currently selling in the Apple store ("refurbbed") for $1349. What to do? I'd say ask yourself what you need rather than what you want. Performance on both machines is very, very similar - unless you are running lots of games. There's really no question that the main change has been cosmetic. (And that's meaningful, I know) but if you're looking for a good laptop for work or school, it is well worth asking yourself if it is worth spending the extra $650 or so for beauty.

I know some will jump all over me for saying that, and will point out the changes inside as well as outside, but really, this new MBP seems to be very, very close in performance to my son's MBP.

So - bottom line - if you can afford it - go for it! The new Macbook Pro is a state of the art laptop - sans card reader, I know - that combines beautiful engineering with great performance. If your budget is somewhat leaner, buy the older refurb, and know that you are still getting a great laptop.

Either way - you really can't go wrong.

2. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

It all comes down to preference...glad you like your new machine!

3. andybill macrumors newbie

+1 to all of that. I waited to and love this thing!

Played some games in windows and the GPU kicks butt. everything on totally high and it runs fluid

4. ManWithhat macrumors regular

Good Review. Have you noticed the difference between your Son's battery life and yours?

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Couldn't agree more!!

6. makowb macrumors member

Maybe I don't want to spend 1500$ on a computer that has a video card that is almost guranteed to fail at one point in time due to manufacturing. This is the biggest drop in price I have ever seen in refurbs/last gen computers...and I'm sure it's because of the video card.

7. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Congrats on your purchase! So, may I ask which one you got? Any options?

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

awesome, i hope i have the same feeling when ill get mine too :)

9. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

tell me about waiting...

i waited... roughly 3 HOURS at the apple store because my cards were being declined (i cancelled a BTO order that didnt ship yet the day before and apple told me they didnt credit it, well they were wrong). so it was a nightmarish back and forth with the banks (i paid using 2) and i basically had to resolve the issue with the help of apple customer support over the phone, an apple store merchant, and the banks all intermingling. it was funny now that i look back at it.

there was light at the end of the tunnel though, my 2.4 MBP rang up with a $200 education discount (supposed to be $100). i didnt say a damn word lol. paid under 2 grand for the new 2.4 MBP :D

10. garyoke thread starter macrumors member

Well, my son has had his for over a year, and two co-workers have had theirs for a year - none of them have any problems. Apple will cover the first year, and Applecare will cover two subsequent years.

And I wouldn't buy a laptop without Applecare. Good luck!

11. garyoke thread starter macrumors member

2.4 / 2G - no options; though I do regret not upgrading the hard drive to 7200 rpm. Also - don't forget to order your video out cable for a display device at the time of order - I still can't plug my MPB into m projector! At least not for another week or so...

12. garyoke thread starter macrumors member

Battery Life

Haven't clocked it, but I seem to get a it more - but I also keep the screen toned downa notch or two - I'm getting around 4 hours.

13. chrisi29 macrumors member

Yaay I love positive reviews^^
    Congrats on your new MacBook Pro!

I have one question to ask however. What about the SuperDrive?
    Do you hear it spin everytime you turn on your notebook? Even when there's no CD inside? And what about reading/writing noises? Cause loud spinning noises frighten me:confused::D

Thank you for your answer and the review^^
    Bye

14. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Congratulations on your new machine!

Seconded!

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

16. klooney macrumors regular

congratulations, I also bought a macbook pro, first mac ever, and absolutely love it despite all the negative reviews.

17. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

Coming from an old 12" PowerBook that would make drive noises if I hit the return key extra firmly, I've found that the drive in my new MBP does seem to make noises at random times... I don't get it why thou, I'm still in the "treat it like a newborn child" stage, so it's not abuse. I should note it is still seems pretty rare, but only a few days in I can't say just how rare.

When actually using a DVD in the drive, it is noisy, but no more so than any other drive I have heard. Just sounds like a decent fan. If noise really bothers you, you might want to check it out in person, or rip everything to HD beforehand.

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Congrats and thanks for adding some more positive energy to the boards.

Hope you enjoy the system!

[​IMG]

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

20. carlsbergbeer macrumors newbie

I waited, and love it too. Just got it this afternoon. My question is, what is the best way to calibrate the new battery? Thanks for any help.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Charge it all the way up. Set it not to go to sleep, unplug it, and run it down until it turns itself off from an empty battery, charge it allthe way up again.

22. south8212 macrumors 6502

me too! waited a long time an upgraded from an ibook g4 to a mbp 2.4. This thing is everything i expected and more!

23. StatiK76 macrumors member

StatiK76

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

YEs i did! i got mine today :D