MBP i5 Temperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squaremon, Aug 19, 2010.

1. squaremon macrumors regular

squaremon

Hello!

My MBP i5 2.4ghz seems to be running pretty hot. Not doing anything particularly. Just Skype and Safari surfing on text base sites, no youtube or any flash. My cpu reaches around 65c -68c degree. the top left corner seems to be really hot. I'm not sure if this is normal because the first day I got it it was running cool around 40c - 50c max, after the update the temp started to heat up. :confused:
    If you got a i5 MBP can you kindly post your temp? Thanks :D

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

It's under 50 normally. If I run a game it's about 74.

3. ceshimm macrumors member

just got my 15' i7 today, under 50 i would say when doing tasks you mentioned above.

4. squaremon thread starter macrumors regular

squaremon

so my i5 is like 20c above everyone else ? :(
    maybe i should bring it in for a check? i did a hardware test just now and freeze

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

If the hardware test failed, then you should bring it in.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because everyone's temperatures will vary considerably, depending on the workload on the computer. Your temps ARE normal, and well within safe operating limits. Relax. There's nothing wrong with your Mac.

7. squaremon thread starter macrumors regular

squaremon

thanks for reply GGJ, tho my computer stay idle like 95% and the temp are still at like 65c all the time. I've try to push my mbp to 60-65% of cpu usage, and the temp goes up to 82-90c , the fan kicks in with 5000rpm. Lots of forums I saw through the links you post, they have like 50c at max with everything pushing to the limit on their i5 n i7. maybe its the thermal paste? :(

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know how to say it any other way. Your temps are normal. There is nothing wrong with your temps. Just because they're not identical to others doesn't mean there's anything wrong. If your MBP gets too hot, it will shut down automatically. Your temps are normal.

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

As I'm reading this thread I'm at 42 degrees C.

17 inch i5.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly! And I'm at 72C. All these temps are perfectly fine. It's also meaningless to have people post their temps, because you have no idea what workload they have currently running to produce those temps. Even two identical Mac models running only Safari will have different tweaks, background processes, connected devices, network activity, widgets, etc, that contribute to workload. And the workload and temps can change from minute to minute.

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

12. aznpride macrumors newbie

wish coolbook can release a new version with i5 and i7 support, lack of undervolting is really heating up my mbp when gaming

13. squaremon thread starter macrumors regular

squaremon

i do agree the temp may vary, but 30c difference is a bit odd.

14. Blaklyte macrumors newbie

Blaklyte

GGJstudios is right I don't think there is an issue with your temp, I get around 45 to 50 when running just the browser and when I play games it will jump to around 75-80. The fan will kick in and run around 5000-5500 rpm and then the temp will go down to around 70-75. I was sure it was too high at some point but did some research and it look pretty normal.

If you think it's really too hot just remove everything you have in your Deep Freezer and sit in there with your laptop. Problem solved. :D

15. squaremon thread starter macrumors regular

squaremon

i'm actually looking for a better ac :D

16. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Do you have more than 1 tab or browser open? Any websites running flash on them? If you have a website like gsmarena.com you will find that your temperature will climb really quickly.

I remember I once pulled out a frozen pad used for cooling from my freezer and placed it under my MBP with a paper towel in between and the temperature dropped really quickly lol..

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I know that. I frequently run multiple tabs, and frequently visit flash-filled sites. My point is that my temps, like the OP's temps, are quite normal.