MBP I5 totally silent ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colben, May 10, 2010.

1. Colben macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I hesitate and I went for the MBP I5 2,4 with 7200 HDD (because of the 100 euros ecology bonus and the education reduction)
    but now I obviously hear my HDD (wich is like a little fan noise by the way) and I checked from store the 5400 is very silent.
    I assume it s normal because the noise isn't high but i m really sensitive to it....So my question is :
    do you all hear your 7200 HDD ? are the 5400 TOTALLY silent ?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're worried about hard drive noise get an SSD.

3. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

I've read that the 7200 rpm drives can be noisier than the 5400 rpm drives.

4. johnalan macrumors 6502

I have two MBP's one with 5400 and one with 7200 rpm drives, and I can tell you for an absolute certainty that the 5400 is most definitely NOT totally silent.

in fact I would say that there is very little difference between them, and in fact the 7200 rpm drive on my new MBP may be actually quiter than the 500gb 5400 drive in my old macbook pro

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm yet to hear the 7200 in my new MBP. The Superdrive's a different matter though!

6. shadygrove macrumors regular

I just got my first SSD and I can tell you I don't think I could ever go back to a HD. There is nothing better than a virtually silent computer that has no vibrations or moving parts (aside from the the two fans which are undetected by me most of the time). I highly recommend a SSD for people that can get by with smaller amounts of space or can afford the big ones.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

You ain't kiddin about the SuperDrive being insanely loud (sometimes).

My new MBP though, is very very quiet. I never have heard it unless I put my ear against the bottom. But as stately above, the SuperDrive is another story altogether.

8. justn macrumors member

justn

They are extremely quite, but not silent. I definitely hear fan and hard drive noise in a quiet place, but that is expected.

9. MacChicken macrumors newbie

This.

It's your only option if you are sensitive to noise. Otherwise you will try out several different hard drives from different manufacturers and will never be satisfied.

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

+1 - My Seagate 7200 is super quiet. I took out my superdrive and put in a 5400 500GB Samsung, haven't heard from that one either. I had the Samsung (not just the same model, this exact drive) in my previous non-unibody and I could hear it every now and then, now since it's in the back I never hear it.

This is the quietest 15" laptop I've ever owned.