MBP i5 w/ SSD + 8gb ram BUT mehhh benchmarks!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cokedrinker, Feb 7, 2011.

1. cokedrinker, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

cokedrinker macrumors member

Hello,

I believe my MBP i5 is not performing as it should - Its the 17'' 2010 model with 8gb ram + Vertex2 SSD. Im on windows 7 64bit and below is my Windows 7 Experience Index [​IMG]

I believe the processor should most definitely be scoring higher, and im pretty sure it was when i first got the machine!!! (about 2 months ago) I have come across a MBP 13'' 2.4Ghz scoring greater than mine!

Im also only scoring 5500 points in 3DMark'06!!!

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

2. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Different drivers the things can affect how efficiently the parts run. Do you use the drivers from Bootcamp, or did you download them directly from the manufacturer?

Windows issued a Video Card Stability update for Windows 7 64-bit systems like 2 months ago and my Experience index went up.

3. cokedrinker thread starter macrumors member

Everything is the standard bootcamp, with the exception of the display drivers which i downloaded direct from nvidia. I've just installed the standard bootcamp display drivers but the Index has not changed - Im pretty sure my CPU is underperforming bigtime, but no idea how this has come about. As i said before, i believe my CPU scored much more a few months ago, and the 2.4Ghz c2d in this 13'' MBP (below) is scoring 0.5 higher than my i5!

http://www.reviewmylife.co.uk/blog/2010/05/10/macbook-pro-windows-experience-index/

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is it running "hot" when you did the test? Have you installed anything to mess with the fans.

speedstep http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep will basically slow down the processor to help it cool off.

B

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'd recommend putting the power setting on "high performance" instead of "balanced", but I don't think it makes a big deal. Those numbers are adjusted for new processors, especially if you run windows update. Remember there are lots of desktop processors with way better performance than your laptop processor.

Here's my index from my antiquated dual core AMD desktop with 6 GB ram and a decently poor graphics card ( I don't run windows update so my numbers are probably much higher than an updated system).

Attached Files:

• wei.jpg
      wei.jpg
      File size:
      117.5 KB
      Views:
  6. cokedrinker, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

cokedrinker thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the replies guys

I have it set for high performance! CPU temps get to 75c when running the test and I can barely hear the fan. I just downloaded Lubbos fan control and put both fans on full blast - Unfortunately this made no difference even though the CPU temp did not go over 50c, so i doubt speedstep is causing this :/

My windows is uptodate vistadude - Do you reckon my CPU score is supposed to get smaller as faster CPUs are released?

My 3DMark score is still pretty bad I think

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah I remember in the windows help somewhere that those numbers change as more hardware is released and microsoft changes the formula. In fact, you probably should get "better" results if you install vista since that has a max score of 5.9

Nonetheless, they are just numbers, and show how you could improve performance by upgrading the CPU. Of course it's a laptop, so you don't have that option ;)

Btw, I don't know how SSD's work, but by default windows 7 will run a defrag once a week at a weird time. I set mine so it runs on friday evening, when i'll be out of the house.

8. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

general consensus is that defragging an ssd does little good and could, in fact, harm the drive in the long term. ymmv.

9. cokedrinker thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I have defrag disabled