MBP i7 or Sony Vaio F for Video Editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MisterAbs, Apr 14, 2010.

1. MisterAbs macrumors newbie

Hi guys and girls,

For Editing (including HD editing) on a laptop - which would you perfer? The new MBP i7 or Sony Vaio F ?

Sony Vaio F has impressive specs and it seems its better than the MBP with its 1GB video card and capable to output to blu-ray but it obiously not on OS X

Is having OS X an advantage when it comes to Video Editing and is the MBP still worth buying over the Sony Vaio F with regards to Video Editing?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It depends on what software you already have or want to buy.

3. MisterAbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Lets say After Effects CS4 on Windows against After Effects on OS X

But I dont want this to be a software comparison - I was just wondering which is best for editing and handling HD video. so

1) is the graphics card with 1GB in the sony, considerable?

2) which hardware specs are better and is teh difference considerable?

Cheers

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

One is a Mac, the other is Windows - so there's a hell and heaven difference (OSX --> heaven lol)

For creative lines of work like video/photography nearly no professional ever chooses Windows. The end user experience depends completely on which software you're using on which platform and OSX is second to none in that aspect.

I suggest you go with a Mac.

5. MisterAbs thread starter macrumors newbie

In the Advertsing and Creative industries theres a 50/50 split between PC and Mac - After Effects is available on both platforms. Many agencies do creative work on PC. But thats a seperate discussion.

Im not asking about the software its about the hardware spec - which is better fior handling HD editing - the MBP i5 or the SOnt Vaio F ?

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

Citation needed? Source?

7. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Well that's what I said : when you say "better", where does the "goodness" come from ? Hardware + Software = User experience. I haven't used a Sony VAIO (simply because I've seen much more powerful desktop computers running Windows).

Also, your first post says MBP i7 and the one I'm replying to says i5. Haven't gotten my hands on either of them but hardware is only to boost what software you have. I'd choose a MBP i7.

Umm, because I've been in photojournalism for 6 years now ? And my father has been in the P4 industry (photography post production processing) for around 14 years, so I'm a witness to it.

There are PCs everywhere but not for the serious producer, editor and photographer. I love Windows 7 for gaming.. but for obvious reasons I wouldn't want to have my profession depend on it.

8. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

To be honest with you, if OS is not an issue for you, the Sony Vaio is the way to go, I personally like OS X but I am not an Apple Fanatic like most of these people here.
    That is a wrong question to ask in this forum, these people here will stand by Macs even if it had Pentium III in it so you won't be getting the best advice in this forum.

9. ippikiokami macrumors regular

If you can get a better spec'd windows PC for the same price then get the windows pc.

When you are actually in the same NLE there pretty much is no difference when talking about it being on Mac or Windows. BTW don't take the guys word about no pro using windows. There are tons of pros using windows.

If your preference is to use Final Cut then you have to be on Mac.

10. enzojauregui macrumors member

what exactly are specs of the sony? (processor, ram etc)

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

What kind of High Definition content are we talking about? What codec are you primarily using? What Non-Linear Editor are you using?

12. mmulin macrumors 6502

Well, I see below, you are referring to Adobe After Effects. It is a nice tool but what will you be using mainly for editing?

Like another said, the software makes much more difference (eg. buggy or inefficient software will even bug down the most powerful computer, bad editing workflows the experience of editing and decisively the product when under pressure) and it really depends what you are comfortable with in your workflow. My baseline is Final Cut Studio - whatever other tools I might be using to achieve certain milestones within my projects - and that means Mac only. Vegas Studio is not bad as well but inferior imho.

As final thought, the current raw specs between the Vaio Z and MBP might look favourable towards the Vaio but even then they are not as much apart as towards a desktop/ professional editing rack. Both will do the job just fine.

13. MisterAbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Sony Vaio F Specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor
    2.8 Ghz with Max turbo boost
    8 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB SATA HD
    Bluray writer
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU - 1 GB
    190min battery life

This Vaio looks amazing for video editing but it does have around 3hours battery life.

So thats my dillema - go mac, pay about £400 more have less power but more battery life.

14. enzojauregui macrumors member

based on this alone, i'd say go with the sony. if power and video editing is what you want, sony would definitely handle them better.

what makes mbp great is the experience one has and not raw power. in short, what do you prefer user experience (simple and great os, better battery life, great reliabilty, portablity) or just get the job done (raw power, faster processor, better gpu)

15. MisterAbs thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest, originally I thought it would be power but really who cares if you get a render or edit done 2 mins faster. I rather have a more reliable system than have one that does something 30 secs faster. Whats the rush anyway.

I also want to try out Final Cut Pro - i heard its great and better than AF

16. mmulin macrumors 6502

One more note on my previous post. Forget the notion that (HD) video editing has just become possible with the newest hardware. It has been around for a while and while hardware changes in incremental steps the software and thereof requirements didn't. All you get out of newest hardware is a few seconds less of rendering speed. This hardly matters even in mission critical jobs unless you are comparing hardware from 2 or 3 years ago with today's. For video editing look for fast storage for scratching, smart setup of thereof and as much RAM you can get. CPU and GPU just need to support some basic requirements. 1 GB of GPU RAM will give you view seconds longer previews of realtime effects as opposed to 512 MB but this is academic again as it is all down to the software you will be using.

17. snouter macrumors 6502a

I just posted this in another thread:

Sony has the quad core, the 1GB 330M and runs Windows 7 and you'd prolly have to edit in Premiere Pro CS4 or CS4 or Avid or maybe Sony Vegas. The Sony also has an eSATA port so you could attach a large desktop hard drive, which, would be quite an advantage.

Apple has a better screen and runs OS X and Final Cut Pro.

The quad core runs pretty hot. Nothing you can do about that, it's a hot chip. The fan will be on. The Sony does a good job of cooling, but if you are working the fan is going to come on - that's life with a quad core in a laptop and that is why Apple does not offer the quad core.

If you absolutely have to have Final Cut Pro, then there is your answer.

The Sony is made of plastic, but it's well built and I think it's pretty good looking. The Apple has the unibody Aluminum, and is definitely good looking. The Apple will get you more cool points in the coffee shop, but the Sony Vaio is no Dell and some people will think it's pretty cool in its own right.

I did return my Vaio F because, while the screen looked good, it had awful vertical viewing angles. Supposedly Sony updates their lineup frequently, and the screen caused a big enough stink in the US that I think they will upgrade it. I heard this may happen in June. What sucks is, the European market got Sony Vaio F screens that are supposedly awesome.

If you are in Europe, and can live with editing with Windows and windows based software (I liked the CS4 workflow and do most of my work in After Effects anyhow, mostly assembling cuts and mixing audio in Premiere) I'd say the Sony is a much better buy.

If you are in the US, go to Best Buy and look at the screen in person. If you can live with the vertical viewing angle, then it's hard to beat that for $1350.

I think Windows 7 is pretty solid. I use OS X and Windows 7 every day and really have no real preference at this point.

For editing, the quad core and the eSATA are two real advantages in the Sony's favor.

Good luck.