MBP i7 RAM affects Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macwow55, May 29, 2010.

1. macwow55 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Was having some issues with the battery life in my new 15inch i7 macbook pro. (struggling to get 4 hours with 50% screen brightness and internet browsing only)

I took it to the apple store and they said that i might be getting less than expected results because my computer has 8GB of RAM.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Am curious what kind of battery life others with the same configuration as me have been getting?

I have

15inch i7
    8GB RAM
    Hi-Res MATTE Screen
    7200 500GB HD

Thanks so much

s

2. apple.gr macrumors regular

Actually I am having about 6 hours with an 15" i7 with 7200rpm HDD and a HiRes Screen but with 4GB of RAM. I don't think that RAM is causing you battery life because your laptop don't use all the RAM every momment. You can see the used and the free Ram in the Activity Monitor.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Actually both ram are being used at all times, that's how hardware and technology works. Without power into the ram, it won't be able to store anything and once power is cut everything that is stored in ram is erased.

Higher density ram should will affect battery life but shouldn't be huge.

4. wake6830 macrumors regular

I don't think 8gb should make that much of a difference because it's still only 2 DIMMs.

5. Groundhogs macrumors newbie

I have a stock 15 inch i7 macbook pro with 4gb ram and i struggle to get 6 hours at medium brightness.