MBP i7 suddenly crashes (kernel panic)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Becko, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Becko macrumors member

It has happened several times in two different ways:

1. With heavy multi-tasking, using adobe programs, itunes running, several safari tabs, in other words with heavy multi tasking, suddenly an elegant black-transparent color will appear from top to bottom covering all my screen saying that I need to restart the computer pressing power button.

2. Putted computer to sleep without closing safari, next morning after 15min of browsing and without heavy multitask, just browsing, I got the same shutdown situation. So its needed to be put in sleep with all apps closed ?

What could be the cause or the problem ? the RAM or am I over-pushing the computer ?

this is the error screen I'm getting
    [​IMG]

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You're certainly not doing anything more than it can handle. It's possible that safari is causing the problem, so I would suggest trying firefox or chrome or whatever and see if that will fix it.

3. Becko thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I need to know two things

1. What's a "Kernel Panic" and
    2. How can I fix it ?

Thank you

4. Lokrado macrumors regular

Kernel Panic = Blue Screen of Death for unix, just not as lethal.
    fix it? mostly its either a broken driver or defected hardware, try run apple hardware test.

5. Becko thread starter macrumors member

I did the following troubleshooting:

1. Apple Hardware Test (extended) results = No trouble found
    2. Reseted the PRAM
    3. Restarted in Safe Mode
    4. Under Disk Utility the "Repair Disk" button appears disabled so I was unnable to click on it, but I was able to click on "Verify Disk" and got the result "the volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK" in green letters
    5. Also under Disk Utility I clicked in both "verify disk permissions" and "repair disk permissions"

wonder why was Verify Disk disable ?... hope I won't get any other kernel panic window though....

6. Becko thread starter macrumors member

I think I have a clue of what could be causing the kernel problem

Sorry for the double-post but I think the problem in my case could be that the RAM is defective... why ? because everytime I do multi-tasking with several tabs and then after using the "Show Top Sites" icon button I'd get distorted graphics for a couple of seconds... so I'm guessing it could be the RAM the cause of these kernel errors... HoweverI will wait but if I get another Kernel Panic error will copy the log and request a RAM replacement at my apple service center, (I still have the warranty up)

7. Becko thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so far no Kernel yet, however I just realized something, at the time I use cmd+shift+3 to take a screenshot I'd get a distorted graphics shoot... mmm which piece of hardware is responsible for graphics and is there a way to test-repairt it ?

I must point out that if I re-start this problem will disappear, but after 2 hour of multi-tasking use graphics will start to bad behave again on these isolated situations.

Attached Files:

8. Becko thread starter macrumors member

I am so sorry for posting over and over, but I'm getting more and more information about this issue as well.

I believe the culprit of my Kernel Panic case could be Little Snitch, this software name appears on all my kernel logs including the last one on June 25th.

Kernel Panic log:

I really hope someone would have the skill to read this log, but wouldn't be obvious it could be a software incompatible kernel panic my case ?

9. Becko thread starter macrumors member

The end of the story

Hello, I will tell you guys how the story ended, I took the Mac to Warranty and the problem was the Logic Board, apparently a video chip was causing some sort of trouble on the Board, so I got the "Logic Board" replaced, and the kernel/bad-video problem is now fixed. =0

10. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

cool..
    However, I wonder why the hardware test failed to show up the problem. Isn't it supposed to show these sort of things?

11. Becko thread starter macrumors member

Well,... when I brought the Mac at the Apple Service Center aside from telling the technician about the Kernel Panic error and the graphic-video/pixel corruption, I also told him that all tests were executed and all of them proved with positive results, however he responded that as an Apple Service Center they have their own methods to diagnostics errors.

One hour later he called me and said that indeed the problem was video related due a video chip malfunction on the Logic Board.

So yeah the apple tests are "supposed" to detect the problem, but the truth is that if you are getting a Kernel Panic take it to Apple don't trust the tests.

Hope people can learn from my experience.