MBP i7 to MBA 13". Opinions wanted, please.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MikeinJapan, Nov 14, 2010.

1. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Hey guys

I just want to bounce this off some people before jumping in.

I bought my MBP in 2008 when the unibody was released and it had the 9400m and Apple replaced it with an i7. I love it but the glossy screen isn't the best and it is a little heavy. I am heading to back to uni to do an MBA and won't be upgrading and my applecare runs out in a year.

The new MBA is small enough for commuting (when at uni) and fastest enough for me. I rarely take my pro above 50% CPU. I used to play a lot of games but haven't installed a game in over year on my mac.

I can sell my MBP and get a 13" MBA (128GB) with 4GB RAM with a little change to boot to put towards Applecare so I will be covered. I should also say that I have a Mac Mini for media center that will become my mass storage.

I just surf the net, edit a few photos and edit a few movies a year. Soon I will be writing and translating (freelance).

Does anyone have an opinion on this change?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should be fine for you. In photo and video editing, a faster CPU would increase the performance but if that is something you only do casually, then MBA is sufficient.

In fact, I'm getting the same MBA soon :)

3. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

I think for me it is the antiglare screen and size/weight. I also want the coverage of the applecare while at uni as I won't be able to finance a new laptop while paying for the masters.

I just think I will miss the backlit keyboard. (not a deal breaker).

4. bamf macrumors 6502

I have the exact same model MBA you are talking about getting, and I think you'll be fine given the usage pattern you mention above.

I've found myself leaving my 15" i5 on my desk lately and using that as my portable desktop if I need more "oomph" for something.

In every day usage so far the new MBA seems more than capable. I'm loving mine.