MBP Icon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reflow, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

For the love of god I can't seem to make this picture one of my icons. Every time I change it. It goes to the PNG file with the preview picture and not the image that it is. Is there something I'm going wrong. I know this is something really stupid I'm missing....

Attached Files:

2. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

May I ask what icon you want to change so badly?

3. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

It's for my backup drive. I want it to me this icon

4. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Oh, so its for the Time Machine drive? I am not sure but this one could be tricky.
    I once had a tool installed that allows you to change system icons too. Maybe thats what you need...

5. simsaladimbamba

Open the image in Preview, press Command () + A, then Command () + C, open the Get Info window of the external HDD via Command () + I, then click on the TM icon on the top left of that Get Info window to select the TM icon (it should have a blue border now), then press Command () + V.
    That worked for me just minutes ago, regardless of what kind of HDD it is (TM or other).

6. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's not the problem, I already know how to do that. What is happening is when I hit command I it opens up but the icon in the top left doesn't have the that same picture of the icon that I want copied.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Is it okay if I steal that image from you? I want to use it for the settings icon...

8. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go head, lmk how it works for you. If you download it and put it on your desktop then highlight it and hit command I and let me know if both pictures are the same. Like the one in the top left corner as well as the preview picture on the bottom.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I didn't have this problem with my Hard drive icon, but some of my icons I had to change the Permission.

When you open Info.. Look below in the Sharing and Permission box. Change it to "read and write" This will allow you to use it.

You may have to unlock it first.

Or try using this one

http://findicons.com/icon/126209/macbook?id=126209

You can just copy from the website and then Paste in the Info screen.

10. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're getting the generic PNG icon instead of the MBP icon, am I right?

If that's the case, you're doing it wrong. No offense.

Like it was previously posted, open desired image in Preview. Then copy the first instance of the image in the sidebar on the right.

Right click on the desired drive, go to "Get Info". Click once on the little icon in the top left and paste your desired icon and voila.

You can try this on a new folder to eliminate any other variables. Just worked fine for me.

11. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

12. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

In my experience, some images don't work right. In that case, try and convert them with Img2Icns.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

14. simsaladimbamba

My icon for my photography HDD.
    [​IMG]

My icon for my private editing footage HDD.
    [​IMG]

And this is for my TM HDD.
    [​IMG]

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes, if you change it to an .icns first then paste it, it will work.

Also try LiteIcon for further icon changing needs

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Can I steal this from you? It's hella cooler than the normal preview icon...

17. simsaladimbamba

No problem, I used an image I found via Google and just removed the white background to make it transparent.

18. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

I just tried it and it work as you said. thanks....

I guess it helps if I read the other post. ^^^^^ top

19. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Have you tried CandyBar yet???

it works with .png .jpg and a hell lot more...

20. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Nope, I really don't want to buy anymore software..... I was able to get the icon the way I wanted it

21. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

There's a different process when it comes to HDD icons. You need to get a copy of Xcode and Icns2Rsrc. Included with Xcode (try to get the free 3x copy) is a program called Icon Composer. With that, simply drop in your PNG into all the available sizes, and save the file as an .icns file. With Icns2Rsrc, point the program to your new .icns file and it will be saved as an .rsrc file, the type needed for HDD icons.

Once you have the .rsrc file, you can do the Get Info thing, and this time when you paste in the image, it will stick. That's what I do for my HDD icons.

22. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

That seems like a little much unless what you're trying to do is change the default icons. In which case such a complicated procedure may be necessary. However, if you're just changing one drive to whatever icon, the methods posted in this thread work just swimmingly without any additional software. Not to come off as rude or anything.