MBP idling at 65-70C!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noodlemanc, Nov 19, 2010.

1. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

My MBP is idling at 65-70C, and the bottom is feeling really hot... I checked the activity monitor and there is nothing taxing the RAM or CPU. The CPU is 99% idle...

Any ideas?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you selected All Processes?
    And what is (are) your fan speed(s)? You can use iStat Pro to check.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. noodlemanc thread starter macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Yes, here is my activity monitor screenshot. Oh, and I haven't tried resetting the SMC yet... I'll try that now. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

4. noodlemanc thread starter macrumors regular

noodlemanc

I reset the SMC and it didn't really help. The temp is hovering around 60C, but the thing that is a bit odd is the fact that the left section of the computer on the hinge end is ultra hot...

*And now Firefox is screwing up... I have to keep logging into MR all the time even when I check the "remember me" box, I can't login to my account on some websites, on MR its saying there has been new replies to threads when there hasn't etc... It all works on Safari though *puzzled*.

5. spinnerlys, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The system uses 4.x % CPU, your user uses 15.y % CPU. What process does show up on top, if you sort by CPU (clicking the COU column will do that, maybe you have to click twice). And what is your fan speed?

That is where the CPU resides. Btw, which exact MBP do you have?

6. noodlemanc thread starter macrumors regular

noodlemanc

I have a late 2009 13" MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and a 2.26 Ghz Core Duo processor. The computer is 6-9 months old.

The fan speed hovering around 2000 RPM according to SMC Fan Control.

And here is a pic of the activity monitor displaying the tasks sorted by CPU:

Attached Files:

7. Pax macrumors 6502a

In both the screenshots you posted your CPU was 15-20% loaded (15% user, 5% system). That's much more than "idle", an "idle" Mac should have total CPU load of just a few %
    A CPU load 15% will produce CPU temperatures of 60-70 C
    It looks like Firefox is the culprit, perhaps you are viewing sites with lots of Flash or animated GIFs?
    If you close all programs especially FF and leave your Mac for a few minutes, what CPU load does Activity Monitor show, and what does your temperature change to?
    (your total CPU load should drop to just a few percent and your temperature should drop significantly)