MBP... I'm Really blown away...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thumper, Dec 26, 2007.

1. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

i upgraded from 1.33 17" powerbook to a 2.4 15mbp

i just installed C&C 3 and i cant believe how well it runs...
    i have everything on high and its running amazing...

im just blown away...

i cant wait to try some other games now...

Any suggestions???
    :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe that the fans do hit 6200 RPM. :p

The 8600M GT is a nice video card for a laptop of its size.

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Using Boot Camp to install Windows and some games really surprised me because they run beautifully! If you have the HDD space, I'd give it a shot to return to some of the non-Mac compatible games.

4. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

And if you dont have the HDD space, external HDD's are cheap these days.

5. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Can you run Windows off an external HDD?

6. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Na I dont think so but u can install all your games on an external and make ur partition on ur mac small just for windows.

7. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Wouldn't the games run slow? Perhaps only the first time as they get loaded in the RAM?

8. harrymohan macrumors member

Only a part of game is stored in the RAM, once u r done with that part, new part is stored and earlier one being flushed out, so it does not matter from which HDD u using,what might slow down is HDD transfer rate and interface like USB

9. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Add me to that blown away list too, I got a MBP 2.2 ghz, 2 gigs of ram. I seriously cannot believe how much I love this thing, and I've been a PC user all my life! Although I didn't buy my Mac for gaming, would games run decently on this mac?

10. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Yes. I have a 2.4 and 2 gigs of ram and it runs games quite well.

11. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

x1000 yes it will

2.4 with 2 gig is way enough to play all the current release games ( cryisis maybe? )

the one im looking forward to is if a 2.4, 4 gig ram can play Assasin's creed

smoothly

because one of the reason for me to purchase a MBP is for that :D

12. MediaRyan macrumors member

Add me to that blown away list too, I got a MBP 2.2 ghz, 2 gigs of ram.

I'm guessing that the previous responses are correct that games will run well, however, it appears you may have the MBP with the 128mb video card whereas the 2.4ghz machines have a 256mb video card.

fyi

13. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I refuse to buy a mbp until thye put at least 512mb of vram in it.

14. writeous macrumors regular

Im running a MBP 2.2 Ghz with 4 gigs of ram, and all the games I've played via boot camp have ran flawlessly. That includes Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Strangehold, NBA Live 07, and Crysis.

15. MediaRyan macrumors member

I have a good understanding of what different things do (processor, memory, video memory) but I don't know how cruicial particular things are. Somewhat lacking in specific knowledge on that front.

A couple people here have mentioned 4gb of ram. I'm curious, is that more important than video memory & processor? I thought that a game would only require...oh, maybe 1gb of memory, so if you have 2 everything will run on it comfortably. 4gb would be overkill and ram would sit unused.

Am I wrong? What are the components that really make a difference in gaming or just plain old heavy multitasking for that matter?

16. Architect4122 macrumors regular

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You do realise that will make just about no difference?

Graphics power mainly comes from the graphics processor. For example, my old Dell tower (which I now don't use at all) came with a 128 mb NVidia chip in it, which I later changed for a 'better' 64 mb ATI chip, which massively outperformed it (it should do, it was much more expensive than the NVidia in shops).

Sticking 512 mb of VRAM in a MBP would make about 2% difference to the performance. If anything it would possibly slow it down, as the card would have to draw higher resolution textures to everything (the VRAM is where the textures are stored) and as a result, it would have a lot more work to do.

The differences between the 128 mb and 256 mb cards aren't that big. In fact, they often perform to the same level. Any differences you're seeing between them are probably down to the processor, not the graphics card.

Also, +1 to the list of blown away 2.2 GHz, 2 GHz MacBook Pro users. I've had mine for a few months now and still absolutely love it (unlike my previous MacBook Pro).

18. MediaRyan macrumors member

That BareFeats article was very, very helpful and interesting. Fascinating to learn that the 128mb vs. 256mb performance is not terribly different.

Apparently the actual processor speed might account for the slightly different frame rates.....2.2ghz vs 2.4ghz

19. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Congratulations!!
    It's great isn't it. I have the same laptop and I'm blown away too :)

20. prism macrumors 6502a

Here we go again, the barefeats tests are obsolete and irrelevant because they are tested on the Mac platform, not windows and the games are outdated. There is a significant difference in performance in the lastest generation games between the vrams, something in the order of 20-30%. Even 3DMark06 shows more than 1000 points of difference!

21. lucky3killer macrumors regular

256MB DDR3 blows 512MB with DDR2...

512MB DDR2 is only found from medium/high-end PC laptop but 256MB DDR3 still beat them.