MBP? iMac+iPad? Help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thechungster, Apr 3, 2010.

1. thechungster macrumors regular

Well I'm trying to decide which I should get before I go to University (2 years) and what I should save up for. I currently have a black MacBook (2.2GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, intel graphics) and want to upgrade to something with better specs of course (Namely the graphics card since even YouTube videos will make the temperature of my CPU to around 90c at times) So I was shown this image a few hours ago: http://twitpic.com/1cwy9g
    ..and it got me thinking. Are laptops like the MBP dead or dying? I don't do much with my computers. I browse the internet, tweet, work and use it as a media consumer, but the occasional use of Photoshop or Illustrator does happen. My original plan was to replace my MB with a nice 13" MBP since I love the machinery and such, but when I saw this image, my mind has been confused. Should I infact go for an iMac as well as an iPad? The iMac would cover all my media needs and work and the iPad can do everything I do on a daily basis, as well as note taking for university. I just want some opinions on what I should do, much appreciated.

2. Coldmode macrumors regular

If you have two years before you ship off to uni, I think you should save your money and wait two years to make a decision. In two years, the iPad could be twice as powerful as it is now and infinitely more capable.
    Then again, I love being able to do all of my work no matter where I am on campus, which is a strike in the MBP's favor. Some times I'm more productive in my room, other times I do better at the library.

In any case, you'll have to pry my MBP 15 out of my cold dead hands if you want to get it away from me.

3. thechungster thread starter macrumors regular

Well I thought that even after 2 years, the decision will still be the same for me. Either get a nice spec'ed desktop+iPad or sacrifice specs for portability.

4. jaforres macrumors member

I suspect your not going to get a better answer than this :)