MBP/IMac? Logic>Protools>Serato> Big Confusion.need help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hadi, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Hadi macrumors member

Hello Everyone:
    I felt a big relief after I found out about this site. how ever my problem is WHAT to buy.

I am a Music produced who has been using PC all his life. and now it is time for a new change which is Logic Studio/ may be protools cause I'm buying an M-box.
    I am a Dj who has been mixing Vinyl records all his life and now planing to buy laptop for Serato and all his music on it. (may be take to club gigs)

It all started at the apple store when i fell in love with the MBP. I been wanting to buy for the past two years but due to price I was not able to.

How ever the idea has changed when friend suggested not buying a MBP instead a cheap PC laptop + 17" iMac.

What I'm mostly concerned about is the durability of the MBP? Am I better off using an IMac for long working hours? or the MBP can handle it. I mean, I have wanted a MBP for a long time. but if it is a matter of my bock's worth I'm afraid that the MBP isn't a sucha a powerful device that lets me do all the things I wanted to do on it at the same time.

Doing it the other way around will make me lose the fun of having a laptop around and may be school next September(media arts) I love the MBP and I would love to own one. but if it's wiser to do it with IMac + PC laptop which probably come to the same price.

I might have not explained my self properly but If you want to help please ask me. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?:confused:

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Even though I don't know the specific programs you use, or your multi-tasking habits I'd go for the PC & iMac option. Having said that I do think that if you max the MBP out specs-wise, you'll get a computer that'll handle what you described. The only downside would be the elevated price when compared to option number one, but hell. Both setups could handle it, if you're prepared to shell out some extra bucks for the pleasure of having a laptop, go for it.

3. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

I will be using the Logic 8 Studio+ Komplete 5 Native instruments VST's( require a lot of RAM) may be Final Cut in the near future if i get in school.
    Would having a 4 gb RAM of the basic MBP e a good standard? to be quiet honest with you. a regular Macbook can run Logic studio! but it's not pleasing.

thanks

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Well I'd definitely upgrade the RAM to 4 gigs. That's the nice thing about macs.. they can address more RAM.

5. narzod macrumors newbie

I'm a Dj/Producer as well. I've been running Logic 8, Serato and other programs on my MBP with no problems.You shouldn't have any problems running Final Cut Pro if you have 4 gigs of ram. Memory is cheap right now. It's a perfect way to increase the performance of your computer.

6. mcruzader macrumors regular

I think you should go with the MBP option. The real difference between it and the Imac is portability, there is no difference in power. Right now, I use Torq and Logic Pro on a macbook with 4GB or Ram and it runs perfectly. Also, both the Imac and the MBP only accept 4GB of Ram. I don't think you'll regret getting the MBP. Besides, if you get into school you can apply for the student ADC and get huge discount on the mac of your choice, the more expensive it normally is the more you'll save.

7. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

how do you feel about logic and the 15 inch screen?>

8. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

I think spending over 2000 dollars should be enough to have something that can handle that kinda work and YES a laptop is COOL man. I can take it wherever i want. and since its going to be my first Mac I'd love to have a MBP.

I was just a little afride about the size of the screen. I mean sometimes i have over 234 tracks of music and a bigger screen definitely helps. but i hear the MBP has a very hi-res screen.
    producers? ? ?

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

I use Logic on everything from a 1280*800 screen to 3*1920*1200. You will use what you have and learn to make do. Spaces in Leopard can help you out a great deal if you run out of real estate.

That said, what in the world are you using 234 tracks for? That is a truly stratospheric track count, and there will be no way you can see everything on the largest panels available.

By the time you learn enough about Logic to be truly proficient and limited by hardware after doing things the right way, it will probably already be time for another computer.

A PC and an imac seems like a great way to spend a lot of money and not get the results you want. If you have a fantasy of dragging imac around to use serato, let me be the one to ruin it for you. A heavy computer that also needs a keyboard and mouse is not a way to be portable. Get something, get learning, and go on your way.

10. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

don't get two computers. its a waste of money and will end up just being a headache. i'd suggest getting a maxed out macbook to DJ with and get a big external monitor to use for running logic when you're at home. spending the extra on a mbp would be a waste. the high end macbook has the same specs as the low end mbp except for the slightly larger screen and the dedicated graphics. a 15" screen will still be too small for working with logic, so you'll still want an external monitor, and you have no use for dedicated graphics. buy a macbook, use the money you save to spend on extra goodies (ram, monitor, studio gear, etc.)

11. Immy macrumors newbie

for Searto and everything else you need mate just get a mac book pro i have a friend who has just purchased one cant go wrong. you can run logic ect or if not get a imac thats if you don't want portability

12. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Macbook Pro, 15" or 17" would be fine. 7200 RPM hard drive if you feel like it and 4GBs of ram and external.
    You say your going to go to school so you should be able to find Logic Studio for $150.
    I don't know anything about serato but it should run fine since I can run Traktor Scratch on anything, that includes my Air.

13. Hadi thread starter macrumors member

You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot. I think I know what I want now.
    2 computers is not efficient for me. MBP is my destination.
    thanks again