MBP iMac MacPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by viizi, Dec 6, 2010.

1. viizi macrumors regular

I am a concept artist and use frequently - Photoshop cs5, Illustrator cs5, modo401, sketchbook pro 2011, Corel Painter 11.

I'd like a nice display. Which would be the best computer for my needs?

MBP, iMac or MacPro

2. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

There are many arguments for and against, but in it's simplest form I believe it basically it goes like this:

(A) buy a MP if it's your business tool and will make you money

(B) buy a iMac if you're more prosumer/hobbist

buy a MBP if you're either (A) or (B), but you demand portability.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you need portability, a MBP + an external moitor would be the best. If not then I'd recommend the iMac unless you really don't like the idea of a built in display.

4. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Well put. Also a little more info would be nice. IE: Are you a pro, prosumer or just a hobbyist and do you take you work with you a lot when and if you travel?

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The display is key for what you are doing. I am a photographer and want the best display so I recently picked up a NEC display (NEC 2690) that is non-glossy, wide gamut, extreme shadow detail... If you want something like that then pass on the iMac. I just sold my iMac and 13" MBP to get a 15" MBP and the NEC. With this combo I can do anything - travel and do the best image work and printing. I don't need the power of the MP nor can I afford or justify it