MBP, iMac, or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Boeing747, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Boeing747 macrumors member

Hello everybody,
    I know this might seem a little early but i'm going to get a new mac computer in Spring/Summer of 2012. This will replace my Macbook Air 2010 1.86Ghz 4GB. I'm looking at the MBP, Mac Pro, or iMac (as I have realized that the MBA is not powerful enough for me). I will need it for some video/photo work, xcode, Intense Photoshop use, browsing the web, and gaming. I'm currently most interested in the iMac because it comes w/ a screen and is more powerful than the MBP (only reason I considered was because portability would be nice but not necessary). So which would be best for my needs? Please note the games will be mw2,mw3,CSS, and maybe some other ones but those are the main ones.

2. jesushavemercy macrumors member

3. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

And it would work well for gaming? Also, what screen size?

4. JaHull macrumors member

The iMac is defiantly more powerful than the MacBook Pro but if you are wanting a laptop i'd recommend the high end 15" or 17" specially if you wanting to run some games on it

5. Boeing747 thread starter macrumors member

Well for laptop needs I could use this MBA.

6. VeganHipster macrumors regular

Well if you already have a MBA, then you should get an iMac or a Mac Pro. You said you want to game, iMac is good for gaming, but it is still a laptop GPU. With a Mac Pro you can get a desktop GPU and upgrade down the line. I would recommend Mac Pro if you have the cash.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well that pretty much answers it right? If you aren't going to be doing work on the road, get a Mac Pro or an iMac.

If you go on trips or are away from home for long periods of time, a high end MBP would probably do you great when it gets refreshed.

Like you said though, that's a long ways away so just take a mental note of what you're going to need then; of course, by then you'll have forgotten everything that we posted in this thread.