MBP in 1 month - any updates per buying guide?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcx3, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dcx3 macrumors member

I am about to graduate college and want to take advantage of my education discount before it ends. Not needing to buy a MBP immediately but will probably buy one in a month or so right before graduation.

Per the MacRumors buying guide it looks like the average update for the MBP is about 40 days away from now (give or take). Do you think that in about a month there will be a slight refresh with the MBP? Nothing major but just a bump?

Im looking at possibly the 2.4 2gig model.

2. jeremybuff macrumors regular

They just received a bump, at which I bought my 2.66 GHz 4GB RAM MBP. There will not be a refresh until around September of October, I would say. Then they'll get new processors.. probably quad cores, from what I hear. No refresh within 40 days, that's for sure.

3. dcx3 thread starter macrumors member

May I ask what made you choose the 2.66 over the 2.4? Also, is 4gb of RAM more than enough to keep up with evolving technology? Id like the laptop to last me 5 years hopefully.

4. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Well, 4GBs of RAM is as much as you can get for the MBP, which should last you a very good while. I'd say it should last you 5 years, but I am sure you can take out the ram in the notebook and replace it with larger sticks of RAM.

I chose the larger processor because I need to compile video in Adobe After Effects and Flash. You might not need it, but hey.. why not? If you want to keep the notebook for 5 years... then get the largest processor you can... but the same thing goes for RAM.

5. illest813 macrumors member

I am in sort of the same position, dcx3 i think you should also consider snow leopard. i mean some may disagree, but if I was going to buy a new computer I wouldnt want to have to upgrade the entire OS a month later. so, snow leopard & arranale/whatever other upgrades before that should be considered. and im not sure if it matters to you, but i would like to have windows on mine and i am not sure when the new platform is going to come out (havent heard much on it recently). if anyone has any info feel free to chime in

6. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Upgrading the "entire OS" is not hard on a Mac, unlike a PC. It's easy as pie. Second of all, who says Snow Leopard will be out in a month?? I'd say it will be middle to late Summer, at the earliest.

Also, as far as having windows on yours, you can do it very easily with BootCamp or VMware.. there is no reason to wait because of that; it works perfectly now.

So, the bottom line is that Snow Leopard will be a great upgrade... when it comes out. But Windows works fine on it now, it will not be hard to update, and it certainly won't be out in 30-40 days. There are still too many bugs that developer channels are getting worked out. Won't happen any time soon. Go ahead and buy a mac now.