MBP in a constant state of sleep, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abc123, Apr 7, 2009.

1. abc123 macrumors 6502

My MBP (15" 2.2GHz running 10.4.11) won't wake up from sleep. Even restarting the computer activates the sleep light (non-pulsing) before the display turns on and while it makes a sound like the drive is trying to boot, nothing happens.

I have tried booting from the install disk unsuccessfully. While turned on (with the sleep light on) the notebook accepted the install disk and even made sounds like it was reading it but still the screen remains off and the sleep light on.

I think I've just about exhausted my ideas. Do you have any ideas?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. abc123 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't work.

i've now come to the conclusion that there is something very wrong with the computer. the caps lock light also doesn't light up so i suspect that the keyboard is not responding either.

in the past week photoshop started throwing up a graphics card error which i guess i shouldn't have ignored.

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

A couple other things you could try is resetting the SMC by shutting down, removing all peripherals and things plugged in, unplugging the magsafe, removing the battery, and holding down the power button for five seconds.

The other thing you could try is starting up from the Apple Hardware Test by holding D at startup with your Leopard DVD. (Obviously if you can't get anything to work this won't work either and you'll need to take it in for repair).

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

When you see that the sleep light is not pulsing, the hard drives are spinning but the graphics card cannot find a display to plug into. Try typing in your password after waiting 1 minute, and hit enter. Then, try to use the volume control buttons and see if you hear anything. If you do, then the graphics system is bust. Well, what exactly did the Photoshop error say? If it indicated that the graphics card was overheating or something that you, a normal human, could understand, it was a hardware problem. However, if it was a line of code or something that you, a normal human, could not understand, the problem was probably a driver error or a software error. Try connecting it to an external display. BTW, NEVER take it to Best Buy or wherever you bought the computer, take it to the nearest Apple Retail store. They have the ability to repair your Mac without voiding your warranty and they are trained to only use Macs.

6. abc123 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the tips, i'll try those out too.

the photoshop error said that some aspects of the program wouldn't work due to my graphics card and that i should check my drivers or contact the card manufacturer... i chose to ignore it. i'd noticed it struggling with graphic processes lately that the powerbook i'm using now has no trouble handling so it makes sense that it is likely a graphics card issue. that and i've just discovered that apple have a document stating the cards in my run of MBPs are known to fail.

we don't have a real apple retailer in my australian city and repairs are done by apple certified centers. luckly i found one who have great customer service, they've even loaned me a computer while mine has been in repairs before. looks like i'll be paying them another visit.