MBP in clam burning hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SnapperUK, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SnapperUK macrumors member

I have just realised that I should be using my old MBP as a media server to Apple TV rather than using my current MBP and connecting ad hoc.
    All seems to be pretty good except the MBP is running super hot and is probably not operating properly. It gets too hot to hold.
    The current set up is this.
    MBP, maybe a 2009 with 4GB ram
    connected to Onkyo AV receiver via mini-display to HDMI converter.
    Media is on a Western digital USB 3 (though obvs only getting 2) connected to MBP
    MBP has had optical drive removed and replaced with unused and currently un-necessary HD.
    System drive on MBP is user installed SSD.
    Connected to wifi network and Apple TV over wifi, although could potentially connect to Airport extreme using ethernet.
    Have wireless keyboard & mouse connected.
    Everything (Apple TV, AV receiver, Airport Extreme, Virgin media box, Virgin Media cable modem, Subwoofer and MBP) are jammed into a poorly ventilated cupboard. It works but I have only really given it a test and haven't really tried to really put it through its paces.
    But even just leaving it idle, it seems to get super hot. Part of the problem is the AV receiver produces quite a lot of heat.
    So here is my question... What can I do to reduce the heat of the MBP?
    Would removing the battery (model with removable battery) and running just off main power help?
    What about taking out the unused and unnecessary spinning drive?
    Would connecting via ethernet rather than wifi reduce CPU usage and heat?
    Any other ideas of what I can do to reduce heat?
    Obviously improving ventilation would be an easy solution but isn't really the answer I am looking for at the moment. Thanks.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Well....common sense should tell you that having all that "stuff" including the MBP jammed into a cupboard that has no ventilation isn't a smart idea. You run the risk of damaging your MBP (and any other equipment that has fans for cooling) by running it in that sort of situation.

As to solutions, move the MBP into open air so it can be properly cooled.

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Turning off wifi to reduce heat in a system combined multiple computing and electronic devices inside a sealed, unventilated cupboard is like spitting out of the window to reduce weight in your car to get more fuel economy.

The answer you're not looking for is the answer.

More ventilation.

The laptop has an overall TDP. You have it in a sealed box. The laws of thermodynamics will tell you that it will overheat. It is actually rocket science.

One of those devices will probably fail due to overheating - probably one of the passively cooled items like the super hub (which gets quite warm on its own).