MBP in clamshell with external display query

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Indy89, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Indy89 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a 2010 17" MBP which I have recently started using on an external display. I understand that when in clamshell mode it gets hotter which makes the fans spin up but the extra heat doesn't concern me. What I am bothered about is all that heat is being put onto the laptops display and I'm just wondering if it could do damage to the display running in clamshell for extended amounts of time.

If it does is there any way to output to the external display only with the lid open?

Thanks

2. Jexta macrumors member

I did some research on this prior to using my 13" MBP in Clamshell w/ External Display.

From what I found, no-one could show evidence of definite damage from heat to the LCD. People obviously believe it could cause damage, but as Apple even allow you to do it, I would say that it would be repairable under warranty in any case.

The amount of heat generated by the machine when it is closed is significantly less, as the LCD is the biggest power sucker in the machine.

Just keep an eye on your LCD and if you notice any damage, cease using it immediately.