MBP in Shanghai, Volcano Delays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cobalt79, Apr 16, 2010.

1. cobalt79 macrumors member

My MBP has shipped, but is stranded in Shanghai. Apparently the Iceland Volcano Eruption has caused shipping delays.

Anyone have any insight or information to offer on when I might get my new MBP?

Thanks
    LJ

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Silica dust from the volcano is bad for airplane engines so as long as the airplanes are grounded, you'll be a-waitin'. I read this morning it may be several days, but that may have changed either way.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Where do you live?

If North America, you're probably OK since the plane wouldn't have to go anywhere near the ash. If you're in Europe, you're probably screwed.

4. JNickyJJ macrumors member

yeah the volcano's ash means that the planes can't fly

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

IT all depends on the flight path. Volcano dust can make windows opaque and strip the paint from the plane.

Most of Europe is covered now. Air traffic is stopped.

If the plane goes from Shanghai, around the north pole, and down to America, it might be delayed. If it follows an alternative flight plan then you should be OK.

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

it's better be sarcasm :mad:

If it happened to a plane you are in, you'd probably s.hit in your pants wheras the pilots would still be calm and able to land the plane with no engines

8. kolax macrumors G3

I'm in the same situation - awaiting my local Apple Store to get the 15" antiglare in stock, but I'm worried it'll be delayed due to their shipments not being able to get to the UK.

It does more than that. It clogs up the engines and then causes the engines to stop working. The particles (glass, sand etc) will turn back into solid once the engine has stopped, and will eventually get blown off by the wind.

Happened to a British Airways Boeing 747 in the 1980s. Went through volcano ash, and all four engines failed. It glided from 33,000ft to 12,000ft before they were able to start up the engines again (due to the fact that the clogged up dust had broke away). The engines were pretty screwed even after it though.. lot of repairs.

9. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

In my professional opinion, the volcano ash in European airspace is too scattered to do any serious damage to the turbines. The closing of airspace is just a pre-caution. Actually, it's much like not allowing cell phones in-flight. In modern airplanes it doesn't cause any interference at all, it's just a precaution.

In fact, there have been a few flights since the closing of airspace. Lufthansa and KLM are allowed to fly some empty planes around so they have enough capacity on some hubs when the ban is lifted. It didn't affect the airplanes at all.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, but the amount of flights going through it, chances of one encountering problems because of it.

Some parts of Europe aren't that bad, but depends on the intensity of the clouds..

There has been some flights, but they are avoiding going through the intense parts.

11. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Nope, not sarcasm. If your stupid enough to get in an airplane, might as well man up and do your job.

12. Jof macrumors regular

Not getting my AG i5 = Fail.
    Running out of many foods = Fail.
    Immense cost to the economy and countless bankruptcies here and around the world = Epic Fail.

Having silence and perfectly clear blue skies without a single vapor trail = Win.

13. Nexcin macrumors member

Please move on.. :mad:

14. Nexcin macrumors member

Yea, the Planet is Co2 free these days, nice! ;)

15. kolax macrumors G3

Haha yeah, people under the landing flight paths must be living this!

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

17. marcin0903 macrumors regular

I am from Poland and as I read this thread I wondered about this:
    Is there any way to order directly package from Apple Store to Poland (any Apple Store, could be US or European Apple Store)? I am asking, because Apple is not interested in Polish market (no iTunes, no Apple Store, and big delays in comparison with the Western Europe)

18. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Not likely.

It's true. Air travel is a waste, costs to much, and is a general pain.

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

That's the one non-terrorist thing I remember on 9/11, how peaceful the sky was with all the airplanes grounded.

20. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Back to the OP's question:

Fed-Ex is still able to fly from China to the Anchorage Alaska US entry point. My MBP was just scanned there.

In you're in Europe....................... :(