MBP -- in the market for one; advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terrybdavis, Sep 19, 2008.

  1. terrybdavis macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    #1
    Hello,

    This is my first post on this forum. I convinced my employer to let me have a MBP. Trouble is it has to go on a capital expenditure lease which needs to be finalized very soon, probably before the new MBP's will be available. I may have an opportunity to express enough concern to wait on mine until after but don't want to miss the boat so to speak so there is an elevated risk to waiting. I haven't heard any earth shattering things about the new MBP's that make me say that I need to wait. I will need dual monitor support which I plan to make happen with a Matrox DualHead2Go device. I will also need 4 GB of RAM. I plan on using VMware Fusion too. I have heard a rumor that the price point will be a bit more attractive on the upcoming MBP's but I am not placing a bet on it.

    All that being said, what would you guys do in this situation?

    Thanks,
    Terry
     
  2. Peace macrumors P6

    Peace

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    Location:
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    #2
    I would convince the powers that be that waiting a month would be good for the company.
     
  3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    to be perfectly honest, i would rather than miss out on having a macbook pro, just purchase one now :) better to seize the opportunity and have something than have nothing. just my 2 cents
     
  4. terrybdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    #4
    The only thing that I will be challenged on is "Why?". For example, has there been enough evidence to support that a price reduction is imminent?
     
  5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #5
    No, there is no evidence whatsoever that this will happen. What is quite possible, however, is that the current MBP's will be discounted quite generously when they are superseded by the newer models. Thus, if you were to wait, you could see what is being unveiled, and, if that does not fit the proverbial bill, go for a refurb as they should be discounted, and will still come with an Apple warranty and have been rigorously tested.
    Cheers
     
  6. Habusho macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2006
    #6
    Terry, if you miss the boat now it seems like you might not get one later on. The new MBPs' aren't going to have anything substantially different than current gen versions. They'll probably just have a little slicker case and maybe .2Ghz faster. If it matters that much for you to take the risk, go ahead.
     
  7. Ubele macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #7
    Obviously, you're dealing with accounting types, or "Because it will be newer and cooler!" would suffice. I've seen one rumor of a possible price reduction on the MB, but not the MBP. Would rumors of an easily accessible hard drive sway them? ("I'll be able to upgrade the drive when the time comes, and we won't have to spend money on having an Apple tech do it.")

    If you want another reason for buying now, on the other hand, remember that Rev A of a new product often has bugs. I bought the current MBP in March and absolutely love it -- but that was long enough ago that I won't kick myself for not waiting for the new version.
     
  8. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #8
    Considering Apple techs don't do upgrades for people, that may be difficult.
     
  9. terrybdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    #9
    Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like going ahead and making the purchase would make the most sense. If we spend more money now because of it, that's not my issue (it is but it wont be my decision at that point).

    Now that we have that covered, I'd like some advice on specs.

    1) There is a $500 jump in the 15" models that only appears to take the video RAM from 256MB to 512MB. Anything else I am missing that justifies the $500?

    2) What's the max resolution on the 15" models?

    3) Any real difference in specs between glossy and matte? I might prefer the matte just because I hate glare issues unless the glossy gives a better resolution capability or something tangible.

    4) I don't see any battery options. Typically, Dell and others offer extended life batteries, 9 cell vs 6 cell. This available somewhere?

    5) Is everything I could possible configure or get with the MBP available on their store or does anyone here recommend another vendor? I checked out CDW and they are $100 cheaper for a MBP for the same specs.

    Thanks again for everyone's help in my transition from the Linux/Windows world to the Mac world. It's going to be a great learning experience.

    Terry
     
  10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #10
    The fact that the card is approaching it's year-and-a-half-old mark. If you don't have any real work to do, wait for the update. If you need it for work, buy now and be happy.

    1440x900.

    In... specs? One is annoyingly shiny and the other is awesome. The debate is simply personal preference/if you do color work.

    You get one battery and it gets a little over 4 hours under moderate use. What more could you want?

    Whose store, Apple's? Don't buy RAM from Apple. Don't buy HDD upgrades from Apple. Get those elsewhere and put them in yourself.
     
  11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #11
    1. Also 50GB of disk space and .1 GHz too -- not worth it to me.
    2. 1440*900
    3. Seems to be personal preference unless you are in a field where true color reproduction is required and Matte is preferred.
    4. Nope, no battery options... this is Apple - very few choices
    5. Many folks go for the entry level and add RAM and disk upgrades on their own at greatly reduced cost.

    Cheers,
     
  12. terrybdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    #12
    Interesting. Can a mac be ordered w/out memory and a HDD? I don't see how thats an option but thought I'd ask. Are the memory or disk special or it like any other laptop HDD and memory?
     
  13. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #13
    does ANY mfg let you order without memory and HD?

    and no they are exactly the same as any other laptop

    are you sure you want a MBP? Im thinking based on the questions you are asking that you really have no experience with apple products whatsoever

    what are you going to be doing with it?

    also the dualhead2go is only going to show up as an ultra widescreen monitor in the OS is this ok for what you are doing?
     
  14. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #14
    There is not options because unlike the Dells and others, there battery goes on the bottom of computer, not the back.

    Yes there is at least one, but I won't mention it. :p ;)
     
  15. spgiva macrumors regular

    spgiva

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #15
    There is also an increase in processor speed from 2.4 to 2.5ghz, and an extra 50GB of HD space.

    The laptop monitor itself maxes out at 1440 x 900, however the MBP it can support external monitors up to 2560 x 1600 (at least with 512mb graphics card, not sure about 256mb card)
     
  16. terrybdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    #16
    Awesome response. Not sure I can respond to your post without being an ass so I will just close the thread.

    Thanks to everyone else for helping. I have enough information now to make a decent decision.
     

Share This Page