MBP - In warranty service woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacg, Jan 26, 2009.

1. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

If you think you might be able to offer advice on how I move on from the situation I'm in, please read on.

I got a new Unibody MBP 15" in October. I had it for 6 weeks then the backlight went permanently dim. Apple insisted it be taken in for repair. Couldn't make 3 h round trip so they reluctantly agreed to courier it to a repair place on 12 Dec. It sat about there for a while and long-story-short I got it back 4 weeks later after both screen and logic board were replaced.

After a couple of days I realised the sub woofer was not working. It worked when I pressed in a certain spot on the underneath. Apple agreed to replace the machine this time, and after signing legal documents they sent me a new machine while I still have the old one. They asked me what spec and I told them on the phone and in a confirmation email. I got it today and it is a different spec. 5400 RPM instead of 7200 RPM.

Since I paid a lot of cash 14 weeks ago, I have had a fully functioning laptop for 6 weeks. And now I have to get back on the phone and waste more time trying to resolve this.

The nice lady a customer services has been assuring me I'll be compensated for my inconveniences along the way but quite frankly it is hard to imagine what could possibly placate me now - the 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year was bad enough. When you invest so much in a product you just expect it to work or at least be put right very quickly and efficiently.

How hard should I be on them? What can I reasonably expect now?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

3. jacg thread starter macrumors 6502a

jacg

Thanks. That would be a logical request given my experience.

The customer services lady was really apologetic today. I wanted to come up with an arrangement to avoid sending the replacement machine back but I was too shy to deal given the number of gestures of goodwill I am already owed.

So there's a new one on the way and I have carbon footprint guilt, which is hardly fair on me.