MBP Inaccurate power remaining reading

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkDTSHD, Aug 29, 2009.

1. DarkDTSHD macrumors member

Hello guys,

Last night I had just fully charged my laptop before shutting down. the indicator light (dot) on the cable was green. This morning when I raised the screen to access the power button it powered itself on.

Then within a minute I got the "...running on low power" message you get during the last 5 odd minutes of battery charge. The power remaining % read 100% so I ignored this message. Then it shut off within a few minutes.

I even looked under "About this Mac". Said my battery still had full capacity. 65xxx mAh. So it looks like maybe it's software related. Something isn't right in the Mac OS X settings. Ideas??

I'm fine with it's plugged in of course as power is coming from the wall. It's just when unplugged. That I got the bogus "...running on low power" message.

2. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Mine has a similar problem. Except, when I wake it up, it starts at 2:30 (before SL, I had 4:30-5:00). But, I think I still get 5 hours.

I’m going to try turning off my MacBook Pro. You should also try restarting.

3. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

You get 4-5 hours? You must have a new machine. I think I'm averaging 2-3 hours now. A year later. Will try restarting. Would be interesting if that was the fix. Something so simple. But I doubt it.

4. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Well, I just rebooted, and now it’s up to 4:00-4:30 hours, so it’s better. But, the time indicator seems to be jumping all over the place. SL seems to update things faster (which probably creates the jittering of the power indicator).

BTW, I have a ’15 Late 2008 MBP.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

6. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

Calibrating?? Can you be a little more specific? Steps?

My MBP was running perfectly till this morning. And for the past hour or so it's still been reading 99%. Should have read 100% and the indicator light on the cable green.

Time Capsule is running so I can't restart yet. But will to see if that does anything.

7. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

don't worry this is just a minor bug

i also have the same when about 10 minutes are remaining before completion of full recharge

but the battery is doing just fine

8. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

9. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

This is a minor bug?? Just appeared this morning. And ideas how to get rid of this bug? :)

You get the "running on low power" message when you're 10 min from a full charge?

Any how I restarted. No change. Battery power remaining still reads 99%. Cable light is still orange. For some reason Mac OS X isn't reading the battery accurately if at all. Giving me a bogus reading of 99%. The cable light should have been green hours ago.

And what on that link was I supposed to find? By calibration did you mean to maximize battery life? What exactly did you mean?

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Did you even read the replies?
    Do a calibration.

If that doesn't work, do a SMC reset.
    (Turn computer off, remove battery, remove magsafe, hold down the power-on button for 10 sec.)

11. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

What replies?? I didn't see any replies on that linked webpage. What calibration are you guys talking about?? Are the steps listed on the apple website?

What does SMC stand for? But will try that after I find out what you guys meant by calibration and how. Assuming the calibration doesn't help.

I have my magsafe unplugged. Battery life reading is at 100%. No "running on low power" message yet. Has been maybe 10 minutes this time. And after switching the battery life display from reading in % I chose time. It says "10:00" :) I have 10 hours?? WOW! Has been at that reading for the last 30 minutes. LOL!!