MBP instant on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Nov 3, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

With a BTO MBP with ssd will it be instant on like the new macbook air?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

All Macs have some kind of "instant of" feature already built into them, it is called SLEEP. And as GGJstudios already mentioned, only the MBA is advertised to have the new "instant on" feature anyway, the MBPs SSDs might be as fast as the MBAs storage device, but the "instant on" feature is only built into the MBA.

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I don't know about the Apple SSD's but I put a OZC in my MBP. These are my results:

Macbook Air Cold Boot: Advertised at 15 seconds.
    My MBP: ~18 Seconds.

MacBook Air going from Closed lid "Sleep" to "On": Supposedly "Instant"
    My MBP: Less than a second. Seemingly "Instant".

So basically the answer is yes.

5. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

But SSD use flash memory. ;)

6. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

what is the difference between flash, ssd, and hard drive?

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

BS an SSD is the same as Flashmemory. The Flash in the MBA is connected by the same interface as an SSD it is simply left wihtout to enclosure to save space that makes it no different.

The Instant on has little to do with Flash or SSD though. In normal S3 aka Sleep all data is in RAM and how quickly all the other chips (CPU, Northbridge, GPU, stable power, ...) wake up is up to the OS and has very little to do with an the SSD.
    If Apple wants to change the wakeup time on the MBP they have to give us an OSX update or driver update or maybe it even needs a slightly different bios.

An SSD makes a difference if the computer is in S4 aka hibernation but you'll need a much faster SSD for instant on from S4 with 4 gigs RAM. It is pretty much impossible.

Aside from all that it is all just marketing. MBA still needs about 1 1/2 seconds to wake up and a MBP usually needs around 2 1/2 seconds. This 1 second really is not that big of a deal. If it needs a BIOS update all Macs will receive these short wakeup delays.
    A Notebook is just more complex but in theory every notebook could be on as quickly as an iphone from sleep mode(S3). A Notebook also takes more energy and it needs more time to get a stable power supply at a certain level than the 1Watt a iphone needs.

8. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

what are the advantages of ssd on BTO MBP/are they worth it?

9. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I would not get a BTO SSD from Apple. They charge to much for their SSD's. You can get a better one on your own after the purchase and put it in.

The "Advantage" of going SSD is that everything is FAST.

My MBP before SSD Boot: 35 Seconds
    After SSD: 18 seconds

Photoshop Load time before SSD: 20 Seconds
    After SSD: 3 seconds.

Google Chrome Load Time Before SSD: 5 Seconds
    After SSD: Don't even blink because you will miss it.

Everything just loads faster... saves faster... etc. Because SSD's respond much faster than a traditional HDD.

10. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

are ssd just bto or does apple store stock them?

11. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

Just BTO, but you can order 3rd parties SSD.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I thought I read somewhere on the MBA forum that the flash in an MBA is connected directly to the logic board and is bypassing the SATA bus, thus making it faster as compared to an SSD.

But yes, the wake-up time of my MBP with an SSD is pretty close to that of my wife's MBA. You can get an SSD wherever you'd like. I got mine from Newegg. I went with Kingston SSDNow V+ simply because it offered the capacity I needed. Anandtech usually has some great SSD reviews.

13. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

No it just hooks up differently. Instead of being in a traditional Hard Drive Enclosure...... it is "open" because there are no platters etc... It uses a different plug but is still basically the same protocol.