MBP insurance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wakeborder556, Jun 15, 2008.

1. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

Do any of you guys have your macbook pro's insured? If so using what? I'm going to school next year and my parents are worried it might get stolen or damaged...thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Policies vary, but some homeowner's insurance covers children and their possessions at college. Check with your provider if you can obtain coverage if you don't already have it.

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice... and a wow. $200 per year for my computer :eek:

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

for a 2500$ computer, thats pretty standard.

it covers everything too, something most insurance companies dont.

my quote came to 155$ on my MBP. thats 13$/month. Doable.

6. Jozone macrumors 6502

Had my MBP 2.2 SR stolen out of my on-campus apartment this year, thankfully my parents homeowners insurance covered it (although there was a $500 deductible -- still a hell of a lot better then shelling out another $2k).

Have your parents talk to your insurance agent to see if you will be covered.

I will say though, creating a plan for data loss due to theft is extremely important -- an external HD sitting right next to the machine is not the answer (as I have learned :( )

7. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

I have a USAA renter's policy with a rider for "accidental damage" on the laptop. It's a $3,000 laptop - it's worth $30 a year extra so I know if it gets nicked or I spill something on it it's covered.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As others have pointed out, the CLUE database is a pain ... so including some of the personal items on another policy from the house might allow you to make claims without risking the homeowner's policy and putting you in a bind with the mortgage company.

So yes, looking at supplemental insurance might seem expensive, but be relatively cheap if you ever need to make a claim.

Sort of sucks with CLUE that even talking to your agent about a "hypothetical" claim can put the policy at risk these days.